Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The party lasted for another two hours and as she had expected her friends had given her some outrageous gifts that made her blush and Siddarth grin. Her friends teased them both every time she opened a gift that came in pink and silver gift box. After the first few she opted out of opening rest of the gifts in front of everyone.

When finally the party started to wind down Gauri was relieved. She was standing to the side waiting for Siddarth to come back when Karan joined her. “If you are thinking about running away tomorrow, don’t.” He said to her once he was standing next to her.

Gauri didn’t feel like bantering with him but she did want him to answer the question that she had wanted to ask him for a while now. “Why did you give that ultimatum Karan? Don’t you think Siddarth has been pushed in the corner one too many times already?”

Karan felt bad about pushing his brother but seeing his older brother happy he didn’t back off from the decision he made and he had no intention of apologizing to anyone for it.

“Yes I agree he was pushed into the corner last time but when I made my ultimatum I wanted him to stop punishing himself for hurting the girl he loved so much. I expected him to find her and marry her. At the time I had no idea it was you and if for some reason he hadn’t decided to marry then I would have backed off, but now I have no intentions of backing off so don’t even think about changing your mind.” Karan said with a hint of a threat.

Gauri inhaled sharply and opened her mouth blast him but stopped when she saw Sweta carrying out some of the gifts. Gauri backed off for Sweta, but more for Siddarth. It did not matter why Karan pushed Siddarth; the fact of the matter is she was glad in a way that he had pushed him.

Karan felt bad for hurting Gauri. “I am sorry Gauri, I just want my cousin to be happy and you are what makes him happy and if it means I have to stand by my ultimatum then I will stand by it, even if it means I will end up hurting Sweta.”

Gauri smiled at him with a hint of bitterness. “Yeah Karan, I hear you loud and clear and don’t worry I have no intentions of backing off, I just wanted to know who made you responsible for Siddarth’s happiness.”

She walked away from him to walk towards her friend Lisa. “Thank you Lisa for this wonderful surprise.” She said as soon as she had her friend’s attention.

Lisa hugged Gauri. “It was my pleasure Gauri. I am so glad you have decided to let go of the past and embrace Siddarth and his love. I can see he will be very good for you. Does he know about the accident?”

Gauri shook her head. “I tried telling him but he refused to listen to me.”

Lisa patted her arm. “And what more proof do you need that the man is in love with you. Gauri trust yourself and in his love and your life, starting tomorrow, will be very beautiful. I am very happy for you both.” Gauri hugged her one more time and turned just in time to see Siddarth strolling towards them.

She was quiet as Siddarth drove them back to the house. He had refused to let her ride with the girls and had asked Karan to give up his car. When they pulled up in front of Desai house Gauri stiffened when she spotted the familiar car in the driveway.

She got out of the car slowly and glanced towards the blue sedan then walked towards the door with Siddarth at her side. He gave her a curious look but did not say anything. The door to the house opened before they reached it. Gauri stopped as she saw her father walk towards them.