Chapter 1

Destiny

Chapter 1

“Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.” ---- Albert Einstein

Siddarth looked up when his younger brother Karan barged into the study, obviously upset about something. He glanced towards his sister Kruti to see her raise an eyebrow at Karan.

"Karan what new problem have you in temper now?" Siddarth asked mildly. He hoped he is able to diffuse whatever has upset Karan before his anger went out of control. His cousin had a legendary temper, but only when he was upset about something to do with any of the family members.

He watched as his brother paced back and forth trying to calm himself. Karan stopped in front of Siddarth's desk.  "It's Sanya's fiancé," Siddarth sat up straighter and frowned. Kruti also put her work aside to join them at the desk.

"What about Sanya's fiancé Karan?"

Sanya was their cousin, only daughter of their fathers' sister. Karan and Siddarth are very protective of both Sanya and Kruti.

Karan placed his fisted hands on Siddarth's desk and leaned down to speak to him, "I saw him with that same girl today again. I am telling you there is something not right about that family."

Siddarth thought about Sanya's fiancé, Amit, and thought he is a decent guy. He didn't seem like the type of a person who could be sneaky. He hadn't thought much of Amit's mother and younger sister, would be beauty queen. His father also seemed decent but obviously controlled by his wife.

Parekh's moved to this part of North Jersey only few years back, no one knew much about their background but they were well respected in the Gujarati community in the area. Sanya and Amit met a year ago and recently got engaged.

Amit was also in the hotel business like the Desai's. In fact Amit and Siddarth are same age and had met at many business dinners and meetings before Amit met Sanya. 

"Karan what makes you think something is going on between Amit and this girl you saw him with? It could be business related," Kruti tried to reason with Karan. She did not want her brothers to jump to conclusions and hurt Sanya in the process.

Karan turned to his younger sister, "Kruti have you ever seen Siddarth or me hug a business associate or make plans to meet outside a Jewelry store in Edison?"

"What? And how do you know this?" This time it was Siddarth who fired the questions at him.

Karan stood up straighter, "I was out with my friends at the local bistro and I spotted Amit. I was about to go over and say hello when I saw him with the same girl I've seen him with, twice before, at the local restaurants in the area. They were leaving the bistro so I followed them outside to see if I can find out who she is, all I heard was about meeting tomorrow in Edison at the popular jewelry store to buy something for her. They hugged each other before she left. Amit watched her get in her car safely before waving and turning towards his car. What I found strange was the obvious loving look he was giving her and the sadness once she left."

Even Kruti couldn't deny there might be something to worry about, "Should we tell the parents?" Both Karan and Siddarth spoke up at the same time to say no. Siddarth didn't want to inform the parent's yet. He sat back in his chair, "First Sanya needs to know and she won't believe it unless she sees it with her own eyes."