Epilogue

Epilogue

Eli had never been a poet. Yet there was something about the moon that captivated him tonight. He couldn't explain it, nor did he really want to.

After months of fast-talking, sweet smiles and covering up his tracks, Eli Lincoln had succeeded. Another mission was now complete. And as he took drag after drag of his cigarette, the nicotine narrowing his blood vessels and making his heart beat slower, he wondered what would become of the girl with bright red lips and bright red blood.

He had torn her apart. Just as he'd planned.

Step by step, his plans had been executed. Though they had never really been his plans. Chloe had done all the work – piece by piece, Eli collected the evidence left over of Renee's schemes, and she had been the one to lead Jessabel Griffin to the truth, scattering leads like breadcrumbs. Genesis had been the biggest clue of all. Eli had sought to it that it was found.

But after all the mind games and treachery, it was Aurora who had benefited the most. Aurora – the woman Eli had known his entire life, and the same woman who was now fleeing halfway across the globe. Exactly how much money had she made from all of this? Millions? Eli didn't know anymore.

He tried to remind himself that this was all for the best.

Renee was a child. A clever child, no doubt, but a child nonetheless. To be able to play the game, and to play it without getting caught, Renee had failed to follow the most important rule.

Never get attached.

Underneath her bravado was a little girl who just wanted to be loved. A girl who craved attention and affection, and needed to be praised. A girl that constantly required a pat on the back. Yet, she was also the same girl who shredded lives with a flick of her wrist, and changed personalities like one would change clothing. Renee Griffin was ruthless and cunning. Eli couldn't deny that.

But in order to play the game, you needed to be a whole lot more.

Renee never questioned why Eli refused to be spotted in public. She never even noticed that Eli had kept his phone, when he had been given specific instructions to leave them behind. Renee never noticed anything that didn't concern herself, and that had been her downfall in the end.

She and Eli had been cut from the same cloth. But he had been the better predator.

Witnesses had barely seen Eli with Renee, which meant that his hands stayed clean. He had never been spotted with her exclusively, not by her father, not by anyone. He played his part as a ghost, and now he was untraceable. If she decided to tell the judge of his involvement, not a single person would believe her.

His cover was impeccable. According to prison documents, the Eli Lincoln that she knew of was currently serving 12 years in prison for drug possession. Eli Lincoln had been a product of her imagination.

Or so they would think.

Now he would wait for his reward. He would wait for Chloe to fulfil her part of the bargain and release his brother from jail. Noah Lincoln would walk the world once more.

But for now, all Eli could do was stare up at the moon and remember the softness of Renee's hair, the smell of her skin. And wait.

*

Update: I have an insta account just for this occasion! Make sure to follow me on instagram at @ lilywardwriter

Also - if you have any questions for me (the author) or Renee (the character), ask them on Renee's tumblr! r3dleather.tumblr.com is where you can find that. You don't need an account to ask questions. Just ask anonymously. ;)

I'll be seeing you there!