Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Hi Nathan." It came out weak, I know. I had to think on my feet now.

His very blue eyes were on the sheet of newspaper I was holding. Time seemed to slow down a little bit as I waited for what he would say next. "Anything good in the paper?"

"Oh –oh, this?" I held out the wrinkled old thing in surprise. "It's a lovely picture of Jessabel, isn't it?"

"Every picture of Jess is a lovely picture." It wasn't a hook I could use to get out. Now I really started to panic, because I knew that if Nathan were to walk out of this door right now, Jessabel would be the first person he talks to. And everything would be ruined.

With a flash on inspiration, I bit my lip shyly and forced myself to blush.  "I promise I'm not snooping," I blurted out.

He just stayed silent, raising one eyebrow. Our staring match was intense. But I knew what to say this time.

"I'm on..." I hesitated, then squeezed my eyes shot and forced out the rest, "I'm on my period, and I was... I was looking for a tamp-"

His eyes went all wide. "Oh." Of course a man would buy that excuse so easily. He backed off straight away, and became only mildly uncomfortable. No longer suspicious.

I breathed a big breath of relief out.

I ducked my head, but kept talking. "I usually keep them in the closet at home, but apparently they don't do that here. I'm sorry."

I got the idea that things seemed to roll off of Nathan. He didn't hold grudges, or attempt to be sneaky – he was a very easy-going guy. His wary look completely melted, his shoulders relaxing. I was glad.

And suddenly, I'm the geeky distant cousin again. "It's alright," he shrugged. "Don't let me interfere with your womanly business. Jess is in the car – she just told me to pick up her purse." After taking a plain wallet from the dresser, he made his way out.

"Wait!" I called.

He stopped, looking at me curiously. "What?"

"Could you – I mean, what is this..." I held the newspaper out to him, wanting him to explain it to me, so I could learn exactly what happened from his mouth. His very cute mouth. But I knew he didn't have long, seeing as Jess was waiting in the car.

He stared at that paper for a really long time. "Don't you already know?"

"I know a little," I admitted, opting to tell the truth this time. "But I'm starting school on Monday, and, well... I feel like I should know everything about this. About what happened."

I couldn't read his eyes, his expression, and that was startling. Usually people are as translucent as plastic. Nathan, for all his easy-breeziness, was a closed book.

"I think you might need Jess to tell you that," he finally said.

"But you were there, too!" I argued. "You were there the entire time – you were a part of this." But deep, dark need to know everyone's secrets rose up in me again. That greed settled under my skin, and I couldn't for the life of me shake it off.

I needed to know. I needed to know everything. And if he wasn't going to tell me, I would find out in my own way.

He was like a clam, a clam that I had just scared off. He was more up tight than ever. "Sorry, Renee. Can't help you there."

I seemed to deflate in front of him like a balloon. He felt a little pity. "I'll..." he hesitated. "I'll ask Jess. Okay? She's better at explaining stuff than I am."

I shot him a look so grateful, he might as well have fed every starving person in the world. "Really?"

He smiled a little. "Absolutely. I know how tough the kids will be at school – especially when they find out who your cousin is. And you're right. You should everything about what happened with Alfred."

I nodded along, tracing the groove of his strong jaw with my eyes. He really was attractive, I thought. You could get lost in all that blue eyes and strong arms...

Before I knew it, my arms were wrapped tight around his torso. "Oh, thank you," I gushed into his chest. A funny feeling came over me when he, very lightly, patted my head in return. There was something strong under my nose – a smell so delicious that it made me feel drugged.

It was like chocolate. And a bit of cinnamon.

He laughed a little, sending a jolt to my stomach. He pulled back a bit after a period too long, no pun intended, and grinned. "Can't believe how excited you are. You could easily have Googled everything, you know."

"I know, but that's not what I want," I admitted.

"You wanna hear it straight from the source, don't you?" he guessed.

I nodded, trying to think up an excuse that would make another awkward hug acceptable. Even though it was burning through my nostrils, I wanted to smell that thick scent again.

He smiled, punching my arm lightly. It was risky, what I'd just done, but I seemed to have won over his affection. It could have easily gone the other way – he could have been outraged, seeing me sift through his girlfriend's belongings. He could have thought I was a freak.

Nathan seemed to be immune to judgement

"You're a little firecracker, Renee." He finally left, but said over his shoulder, "It's great to meet you."

Yes, it really was.

As soon as he was gone, I flexed my fingers a little. Fingers that we still burning from his warmth. And whatever that scent was, the smell that was swimming around in my nose, all the way to my brain, I wanted to bottle it up. And spray it on every piece of clothing that I owned.

***