Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Everything was working out. Everything I’ve ever wanted was right in front of me, ready to be torn to shreds and be made into ash.

Along the next couple of weeks, my run-ins with Jessabel and Nathan became scarce. My frustration swelled to ridiculous levels, but I had managed to keep myself in check.

Patience. All I needed was patience.

But I knew I wasn’t going to last long – I knew where the Ericson mansion was, and while I knew that Jess and her boyfriend weren’t living there anymore – “Things are getting a bit serious too fast, for my liking,” Gwen had complained – I could have easily gotten Daddy to drop me off at the front gates, where I could have asked around until I’d gotten my answer.

It was too soon for that.

Jessabel had to come to me. The only way I could do that was to appeal to Gwyneth.

Every night after dinner, Daddy made daily trips to our new house, which I refused to see until it was fully built and furnished. Gwen and I were left alone, and recently I’d begun helping her with the dishes. The silence wasn’t uncomfortable, and I knew that my eagerness to help made me all the more likable.

Gwen trusted me now. I was her Jessabel surrogate.

“People at school have been saying terrible things about Jessabel,” I lied, looking angry and upset. Gwen halted her movements, but I kept talking. “It’s just not fair! They don’t even know her. She’s a good person.”

“She is,” Gwen agreed in a level tone.

“And I wish I could… I don’t know. Prove that she isn’t a psycho or a liar,” I sighed. In fact, nobody at school thought those about Jessabel at all. Everybody loved her. Everybody idolised her. A lonely little mother wouldn’t know anything about that, however.

“You’re absolutely right.” She didn’t sound so calm anymore. Her posture was stiff, and she looked every bit like a lioness protecting her cubs. Her hands kept scrubbing at the plates. “Teenagers are beyond cruel in today’s society. I went through high school being called all sorts of things. I thought I could shield Jess from people like them, but I guess that’s another thing I failed at doing.”

“Oh, don’t be silly,” I scoffed, bumping my arm against hers in comfort. “I’m sure you’re a terrific mother.”

She only shook her head. Her eyes were beginning to grow damp. ‘I’m glad you’re standing up for her.”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“Jess would appreciate it, too,” she smiled a bit.

“I hope so,” I smiled back, looking glad that she wasn’t as upset anymore. “I really do admire everything that she’s done.”

A solid minute passed without either of us talking, and once again it was a peaceful sort of quiet. She passed me the dishes without looking, and I wiped them down efficiently and placed them in the appropriate cupboards.

I held my tongue. Waiting.

“I think I’ll give her a call,” she declared, nodding to herself. “You two haven’t had time to bond at all. She would love you, you know.” Drying her hands, she reached for the cordless phone behind her.

I hid my smile behind the dishcloth.

***