Chapter 26

Chapter 26

It turns out there would be a theme, after all.

Masquerade.

The invitations had been sent. Close friends, casual friends, people from around town, and even complete strangers – everybody seemed to be invited to my 18th birthday. Plans upon plans had been made in order to make the night special. For me especially.

Eli – the creative little genius he was – had figured out how to shoot all kinds of birds with only one stone. That stone happened to be the greatest event that would ever hit Alistair. By the time we had finished our brainstorm, Genesis had been full to bursting with notes and ideas. And by the time he had climbed out the balcony and into the streets when Daddy came home from work, my earlier rage had been completely forgotten.

I now knew what to do. My confidence came slamming back into me, confidence that had momentarily dwindled at Nathan's immediate rejection to my body on the night I had tried to kiss him. Now I was back in full form, ready to ensue chaos that would feed the monster brewing under my skin.

This was it. From the moment I had stepped into Alistair's gates, I had been building up to an intense crescendo. Soon the waves would fall, crashing down on those who ever dared defy me, and those who stood as obstacles towards what I wanted most.

Nathan was mine. Alistair was mine.

I would finally have it all.

***

 "Whatever you do, don't rush into an early marriage," Gwyneth emphasised her words using her fork, waving it around in the air. Daddy had invited her over for dinner just as he said he would, and Gwen had invited Jess Nathan just as I thought she would. The news of Jessabel's pregnancy had been a huge surprise to her, though not as much as it had been for Nathan. Now that she was getting used to the idea of a new little Griffin – Griffin, not Ericson. Never Ericson – she became excited at the prospect of being a grandmother at only 38. Though she could never be excited at the fact that her daughter was only 20.

Jess was an early baby too, she told me.

Jessabel sighed wearily, setting down her knife to pat her mouth with a napkin. "Mom, Nate and I have already discussed this." I relaxed after she said that, not wanting to know how long my self-control would last if they started discussing the 'Mr. And Mrs. Ericson' topic. Surely somebody in this dinner table would end up dead if it were brought up. 

Gwen nodded, satisfied with her answer. "Good. And make sure you get enough vitamins and antioxidants, too. You want your child to have a strong set of teeth."

"Strong teeth run in my family, Gwen," Nathan smiled broadly, snapping his lovely straight teeth for emphasis. I seemed unable to take my eyes off of him.

"Manners apparently don't," Jess muttered, leaning over and gently wiping sauce from his chin.

"So are you guys coming next week?" I asked loudly, breaking through their intimate moment as effectively as if I had stepped right in between them. Jess turned towards me, her eyes politely curious.

"No, I don't think so," she shook her head. She reached for the water on her side of the table, taking a long sip. "Won't be much fun with a fetus inside me."

"Don't call he or she that," Gwen snapped.

I could control the anger when it came full blast, and I was ready with a fake gasp, my clenched fist being the only sign of distress.

No. They had to come. Both of them.

"Don't listen to her, Renee. We'll be there," Nathan smiled, having absolutely no recollection of our previous encounter and being as easy going as always. His grin alleviated my anger. It alleviated everything.