Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Friday

“Can’t we skip registration?” I moaned to Ellie as we came closer to our form room, it was Friday and I didn’t want to start it off by being harassed by…him.

“There’s nothing to be scared of. And I told you to just go with it remember?”

“Yes I remember but whenever I come face to face it’s a lot harder than you think.”

“It’s because you’re nervous, you need to get some confidence.” She said just before we reached the door “Morning Sir.” She greeted happily, he sat at his desk. When he saw me he sat up straight and gave me a mischievous smirk. I diverted my eyes lazily to our usual desk, once everyone was seated and settled he took his place at the front of the room with our forms folder in his hand.

“If you weren’t aware there have been a few incidents where women have been mugged in town. These things seem to happen more frequently as Christmas draws closer. So Mr Rush has decided the girls in year twelve would benefit from self-defence lessons.” Yes I love self-defence we done a lesson on it last year; all you do is roll about on a gym mat with your partner. Me and Ellie ended up wrestling in fits of laugher. “The lesson will be taught by me,” suddenly it doesn’t seem like such a good idea “-for one hour after school in the sports hall, you’re not expected to attend but I think it will be a very good idea if you learnt the basics.”

Ten minutes after his announcement and taking the register the bell for first lesson went, Jared *cough, cough* Mr Bates was walking round the tables putting text books on each. As me and Ellie I weaved between the chairs to get to the door he stepped in front of me. “I hope to be seeing you after school,” he whispered as I squeezed round him.

“I don’t think so.” I muttered.

“Come on, we’ll be at the back I promise. You don’t even have to look at him.” Ellie dragged me out of the girls changing rooms.

“I don’t want to,” I winged like a child trying to plant my feet into the floor.

“It’s going to be fun,” she tugged on my arm dragging me across the corridor and into the sports hall. Mr Bates was laying out the gym mats “Hello girls.” The look on his face said it all, he knew I’d be dragged here by Ellie against my will and now he was looking all smug.

A few minutes later and there were about fourteen more girls in the hall with us.

“Right then girls thank you for coming, today we’ll be learning the basics of self-defence. Could I have a volunteer please?” thankfully all the girls apart from me and Ellie jumped at the chance. Sarah stepped forward onto the mat with Jared and he demonstrated how to stop someone from strangling you. After him showing us what to do we put it into practise with our partner.