Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen 

He moved back allowing me some space still clutching my torn cardigan in my arms I reached over and took the blazer, leaning my bag on the table I tucked my cardigan inside. As soon as I moved the blazer Mr Bates’ strong scent was released the smell was comforting and manly not like all the other boys I know who stink of cheap body spray. He watched me as I snuggled into his blazer, it was quite heavy and very large it reminded me of when I wear my Dad’s coat to take the rubbish out, only because it’s the first thing I get my hands on. I wrapped the sides around me covering my whole torso; I picked up my bag holding it in my left hand not being able to haul it over my shoulder due to the aching pain of my bruised arms and chest.

“You ready?”

I nodded in response as he headed towards the door a few seconds later and I began to follow he held the door open for me, I think he's the only male in this school with manners, as soon as we were in the corridor it dawned on me. What if someone sees us leaving together, me wearing his coat? I wasn’t sure if I was to walk next to him, in front or behind? Still being shaken up from earlier I trailed behind wearily leaving a wide space between us. As we walked he occasionally glanced over his shoulder, probably checking I hadn’t ran away. When we got outside it was pitch black the sky was full with glistening stars the car park was abandoned with the exception of Mr Bates’ Jaguar. He swiftly removed his keys from his pocket and unlocked the car making the headlights flash and making the stereotypical ‘bleep bleep’ when he stopped at the car to undo the passenger door I had a second thought, should I get in the car?

He waited with the door open “You’re not getting the bus home,” it was weird being told what to do normally me and Ellie have a discussion before making any decisions, still standing there he tried to assure me “Amy, trust me.” He gestured to the passenger seat. Oh what the hell he’s only giving me a lift he’ll take me straight home anyway.  I walked towards the car cautiously and quickly taking my seat I bit my tongue as I landed in the car trying not to curse with pain, he gave me a concerned glare which I ignored the door was almost silently closed behind me.

Seconds later Mr Bates was sat beside me the car still had the ‘brand new’ smell to it but the scent was overpowered by his personal smell, I wanted to inhale deeply although I resisted the urge not wanting to look like a total weirdo. The engine started and with one swift motion he reversed into a smooth curve then drove to the school exit, there were no other cars on the road which was nice- no traffic to get held up in.  

“So how did you get your hands on my mail?” he kept his eyes firmly on the road, the street lights flickered in the car occasionally shedding light on his face. From the side his face looked like it had been sculpted by a God his eyes were the most beautiful colour I’d ever seen. If I answer he’d probably start asking to hear my life story “…come on Amy talk to me,” the corner of his lips were turned up like he was laughing at me. The car slowed down as we approached a red light.

“You’re nothing like the other girls in your year,” the car was now stationary.

“What do you mean?” actually interested in his explanation I checked the traffic lights- still on red.

“You treat me as your teacher which I’m grateful for.”

“…how else would I treat you?” come on lights change.

“I’m sure you’ve noticed the girls constantly asking me private questions, batting their eyelashes and in some cases even winking at me.”

“…nope I hadn’t noticed,” of course I’ve bloody noticed I have to put up with it every day in class. Why is he even talking about this? I kept my eyes glued either to the road in front or the traffic lights.