Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I spent ten minutes running around before I spotted three playing cards pinned to a large tree. I took one then spent another fifteen minutes wandering about until in the corner of my eye I saw two small teddy bears sitting on a tree stump. One of the teams must’ve already found their teddy- I took mine then started making my way back to the meeting place. When I arrived Ellie and Kelly were already there along with Mrs Hall, Mrs Connell and Mr Bates, three from the boys group and one from the mixed group. I saw Charlotte in the distance between the tree’s
“Hey Charlotte over here,” she looked then her face lit up, she sprinted towards us.

Seconds later Matt from the boys’ team appeared then one from the mixed team. We were now waiting for Kayleigh if the last member of the boys’ team tuned up they’d win. The boys started shouting “Come on Chris” I tuned to see the last member of their team approaching.

“Look there’s Kayleigh,” Ellie nudged me “Run Kayleigh!” she started sprinting but it was too late Chris had already got to his group. We thought we’d lost but it didn’t dampen our spirits because we were still having a good time. However it turns out that when Mrs Connell was checking our lists we had got everything but the boys had one thing missing…they didn’t get the red ribbon.

“So because the boys were missing the ribbon and the other group came last that means…the girls team have won all three challenges,” we got a round of applause and a large tin of chocolates which we’d all be sharing tonight. The boys didn’t look too pleased which made me even happier; they can’t expect to win everything in life.

“Well done girls you deserved it, I hope I get one of those later.” Mr Bates gestured towards the tin of chocolates.

“Now he is someone I wouldn’t mind sharing a box of chocolates with.” Charlotte whispered darkly as he walked away, we all giggled in response- including me because the way she said it was just funny in itself.

It was about five o’clock and the campfire had been made up along with the barbeque and we were all sitting spread out on the logs chatting amongst ourselves. The smell of cooked burgers and sausages wafted towards us, I hadn’t had a barbeque in ages. All three teachers were gathered around it prodding the cooking meat joking with each other. Our groups took it in turn to go up and get something to eat, our group was last but there was still enough food to feed us twice over. I had a burger and two sausages the same as the other girls, we sat back in our circle giggling and having the time of our lives. I’ve started not to regret coming I can’t believe how nice these three girls are before today we never really sat down and talked together- I think me and Ellie have made some new friends. I glanced around taking in the scenery trying to staple the pictures in my head; this had to have been one of the best days of school ever. My eyes landed on Mr Bates he sat with Mrs Connell and Mrs Hall with his paper plate of food on his lap he looked like he was having a good time too, he looked up at me and again I looked straight back at Ellie. It’s so awkward when that happens it’s like when you’re waiting at the traffic lights then you just casually look at the car beside you then the driver does the same and you end up looking at each other.

After eating we helped clean everything up then took our seats around the campfire, I slumped down between Ellie and Charlotte it was about seven o’clock and there was still a few hours of daylight left. I stared into the fire being hypnotised by the dancing red and orange flames, Mr Bates strolled into the circle and took a seat on the other side of the fire. My eyes flickered up from the burning wood to see him gazing at me I just followed normal procedures and went back to staring into the fire.

“Where are Mrs Hall and Connell?” Lucy asked

“They have gone to sleep and have trusted me to look after you lot,” Mr Bates answered. I could tell some of the girls were getting excited. This is against the rules isn’t it? I swear there has to be at least one female member of staff present. As I was thinking Ellie dumped a packet of marshmallows on my lap, then found a stick on the floor “pass me some” she instructed. I put my hand in the bag and handed her one at a time as she pushed them onto the stick. I handed the bag to Charlotte and she done the same. Some of the girls were straight up and sitting with Mr Bates- poor guy. They were cross examining him about his life but he wasn’t giving anything away, my vision was locked on the fire but in the corner of my eye I saw him regularly look at me. Just because he stuck up for me during volleyball it does not mean I’ve forgiven him for blabbing to  the student welfare team- I know he didn’t  say ‘Amy I promise not to tell anyone’ but I told him he couldn’t tell anyone and he clearly said ‘I won’t tell anyone’.