Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

“In” he instructed without looking at me, it could be worse he could be trying to put me in the boot- then I really would be concerned. He’s just going to give me another lecture there’s nothing to be scared of he is an adult he knows how to behave appropriately unlike Ben did. I shook my head in disbelief of what I was doing before slowly taking my seat in the car, the door shut behind me leaving me alone in the car for a few seconds then the driver door opened and Mr Bates was sat next to me. Still without a word he sped off, the acceleration pushed me back into my seat.

I waited for him to say something- he didn’t look at me as I got into the car which means I must’ve really annoyed him. We sat in awkward silence so at least two minutes

“Why did you do it?” he finally spoke, I quickly glanced to my right. He clutched at the steering wheel his knuckles were white.

“Do what-“

“Please don’t start that again Amy” he muttered through gritted teeth

“I told you about it before the summer holiday-“

“And I told you that you weren’t moving out of my class”

“And why is that? You never actually gave me a reason” I pushed for an answer

“Do I need a reason?”

“Yes” you don’t see people going around killing others because they have no reason. Actions are a result of reasons. We drove through our village, down the dark lonely country roads.

“Don’t blame me if you don’t like what I tell you” he began to relax, I waited for the reason for all of this but it never came

“…well”

“You’re totally oblivious aren’t you” he laughed. My eyebrows creased with annoyance

“Are you saying I’m stupid?” I demanded, my head shot in his direction, treating me like a possession is one thing but calling me thick is another thing.

“No. Far from it. Sometimes you can’t see what other people can see” he explained as we drove down the lane my house was on

“Well maybe those people suffer from delusions and are seeing things that aren’t actually there”…that has to have a place my list of top ten comebacks. He braked as we pulled up outside my house. Leaving the engine running he got out of his door and walked round the front of the car. I sighed and shook my head at the ridiculousness of this situation as I searched the footwell for the handle to my bag. The passenger door was opened for me and I swung my legs round to smoothly step out of the car, like a gentleman the held the door open and gently shut it behind me. I was planning to walk away without saying a word but no matter how annoyed I am manners cost nothing.

“Thank you” I muttered as I took my first step to walk away. I was stopped like I’d ran into a brick wall, his hand was once again clasped around my bicep pulling me close it wasn’t hard enough to hurt my enough to keep me from moving. He looked down at me his face totally serious