Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A few minutes later I was back downstairs searching for Ben determined to make the most of the time I had left of my first and last house party, when I did find him I saw something I really did not want to see. He was cornered by the same girl from earlier she was stroking his arm and whispering in his ear and he looked like he was enjoying it as he was laughing along with her, I knew he was too good to be true and now I’ve seen him out of school he’s not all what I thought he was. I gently nudged the girl out of the way with a polite “excuse me” she just gave me a bitchy look and strutted off “Umm please could you take me home?” it was more of an order than a question but I was trying to hide my annoyance, before leaving I snatched my coat from a hanger and calmly walked out the door. The cold December air hit me as soon as we were outside and I wasted no time getting in his car “Are you okay?” Ben asked as he started the engine

“Just got a bit of a headache” I made an excuse, the frost had covered most things making them sparkle in the headlights as he set off down the country road. Ben was driving too fast for my comfort maybe he was just showing off or it’s just how he normally drives.  I was taking a deep breath to calm myself when a very strong smell of alcohol was coming from Ben “How much have you had to drink?” he chuckled as I scanned his face “You’re drunk!” I accused, it seems like he didn’t listen to me because he was still speeding “Slow down!” I demanded.

As we came to a sharp corner he put pressure on the brakes the back end of the car seemed to slide putting us in the direction of a tree my heart thumped against my ribs as he wrestled with the steering wheel to stay in control. I don’t know how he done it but he got the car back under control and managed to avoid the tree, he slammed his foot on the brakes and the car came to a sudden stop throwing me against my seatbelt then back into my seat.

I was breathing heavily and gripping onto the sides of my seat, without thinking about it I took off my seatbelt “I think I’ll be safer walking”

“Wait-”

“I’ll call my Mum to pick me up just go, for your sake its better you’re not here when she arrives” she’d kill him if she finds out what he’d done, although it was a lie I’m not calling my parents I don’t want to worry them or drag them away from my uncle’s. As soon as I had both feet on the road It became apparent how slippery it was, in the space of a few hours the road had grew a blanket of frost and ice. He soon drove off into the distance, it was pitch black as there was a full moon directly above me beaming white light onto the ground, I knew where I was which is always a good sign but on the downside I’m estimating I’m around seven miles from home.

And guess what, I’ve left my coat in his car “Shit!” I cursed myself, the hairs on my arms stood up for a second I considered jogging to keep myself warm and I’d get home quicker but after the second mile it was becoming apparent that pumps aren’t the best shoes for walking long distances let alone jogging. My feet ached and the skin on my heels felt like they were on fire, I pushed the backs down so I was basically left with sandals. The night was silent the field to my left had a few deer’s roaming about and when I came to walk past a small forest an Owl decided to make his presence known by hooting loudly. I’m admitting now I am kind of scared, even though you know ghosts and monsters don’t exist you still convince yourself they’re out here in the darkness lurking- watching you.

With roughly two miles to go I was now shaking uncontrollably and I’m  unable to feel about ninety per cent of my body and I felt confused like I had been drinking a lot. We learnt about hyperthermia in biology and I was ticking all of the boxes for the symptoms. Up until five minutes ago I was carrying my shoes because I couldn’t feel my feet to even keep them on. Eventually I lost the feeling in my hands so I left them neatly below a village sign so I can collect them another day. I didn’t know it was possible to be this cold. When I got to the end of my road I actually wanted to cry all my emotions were ganging up on me I am angry, happy that I was nearly home, confused and very, very cold.