Chapter 31

Chapter 31

                “Should I make chicken breast or steak?” I asked holding up two packages of meat. I groaned, as I ran a hand through my hair stressfully. “Whatever, I’ll just make both.” Alex stared at me with a frown. My hands shook as I unwrapped the packages of meat, separating the chicken and the steak in two separate trays.

                “You don’t have to be so nervous.” Alex said, as I ignored him. Alex and I had gotten our own apartment shortly after Clarice’s wedding. I was still in college, but Alex had graduated in France a year before I did, and was now working for one of the top business corporations in town. “It’s just your dad coming over to visit.”

                I shot him a glare, as I began to lightly season the meats. “I also haven’t spoken or seen him in four years, Alex.” I muttered, shaking the ground pepper onto the steak angrily. “Did you also know that he’s coming over with his new fiancé?”

                Alex’s features softened, as he licked his lips. He came over to me, wrapping his warm arms around my waist from behind, as I set the pepper down on the counter with a sigh. “I just noticed that you haven’t been sleeping ever since your dad gave you that call.” He kissed my cheek, as I closed my eyes, feeling tired and stressed. “I’m just worried about you.”

                “I’m sorry.” I felt weak in his arms, and I was sure that if Alex wasn’t holding me up, I would’ve fallen. “It’s just everything has to be perfect.”

                Alex spun me around so that I was facing him. His hand flew up to tuck a strand of my messy hair, which I hadn’t bothered to comb or run a brush through in days. His lips leaned towards my ears, as I felt his hot breath tickling my earlobe. “You’re as perfect as it gets.” He whispered, sending shivers down my spine. “How about you take a nap, and I grill the meat?”

                I let out a soft laugh, resting my head against his shoulder. Alex’s hands were running down my back, soothing me while making me tired and sleepy. “Alex,” I muttered, “you and I both know that you can’t cook for your life.”

                “True.” Alex’s soft chuckle filled my ears, as my eyes fluttered close. “I can start on those oven roasted potatoes if you want.”

                “Are you sure?” my eyes opened, as I stared up at Alex. “I mean, I could help if you want. After all-“

                Alex cut me off by pressing his lips against mine gently. My eyes immediately shut closed, as I kissed him back with all the energy I had inside of me. Alex’s grip around my waist tightened, as his nibbled on my lower lip. My arms knotted around his neck tightly, because I was afraid that if I didn’t hold on tight enough, I would’ve fallen.

                “Let’s get you to bed.” Alex muttered, carrying me bridal style to our bedroom that we shared. He placed me on our bed, tucking me in.

                “Wake me up in an hour.” I slurred.

                Alex’s kissed my forehead, before releasing my hand that he was holding the entire time. “Sure, babe.”

*

                “Wake up.” I heard Alex say as he gently shook my shoulders. “Your dad is on his way.”

                My eyes snapped open, as I threw the sheets off of me. I stared at Alex with wide eyes, as panic began to come over me. “Alex, what time is it?” I asked, voice staggering.