Chapter 9

Chapter 9

                Clarice offered me and Alex a ride to school the next morning. I took her up on the offer, but Alex simply shook his head, and told us that he was going to go to school late today.

                I walked beside Clarice as we entered the school together, heads of our fellow classmates turning towards us. I didn’t know whether everyone was whispering about the fact that Daniel told everyone that Clarice was pregnant, or that I was actually side by side with her.

                We ignored all the whispers and stares, as Clarice dropped her head low. “This is horrible.” Clarice whispered beside me. “I just want to go home.”

                I gave her a look. “Be strong, Clarice, for you and your baby.”

                Clarice sighed, as we walked down the hallway, making our way to our first period class that we had together.

                “So, it’s really true, isn’t it?” a voice snarled from us behind.

                Clarice and I stopped in our tracks, as we turned around to face Aubrey Small and her followers. Aubrey snickered at the both of us, rolling her eyes. “Oh, isn’t this sweet? Aerial Mason and Clarice Adams are having a reunion!”

                “Aubrey, leave us alone.” Clarice said boldly to the red head.

                Aubrey rolled her eyes, holding up her perfectly manicured fingers to Clarice’s face. “Shut up, Clarice.” She snapped, glaring at her. “You know, all this time, I thought we were best friends. But, no. The first person you go running to when you’re knocked up is some bitch who you left.”

                Clarice’s face was full of pain, as she stared at Aubrey with a frown. I could tell that Clarice was beginning to crack under the pressure. “Aubs-“

                “Don’t call me that, you slut!” Aubrey spat at Clarice.

                I bit my lip, as I held onto Clarice’s arm protectively. “Don’t be hypocritical here, Aubrey.” I finally set off, snapping at Aubrey. “Aren’t you the one who sleeps around with every guy in this school?”

                Aubrey looked startled at my sudden outburst, as she bit her lip, staring down at me as if she was better than me. “Mason, you have no place here. Got it?” She raised an eyebrow at me. “I suggest you leave this to Clarice and I, before things get ugly.”

                I clenched my fists by my side, as Clarice whispered in my ear. “Leave her, Aerial. She’s not worth it.”

                I ignored Clarice, feeling all of the anger that I’ve kept in for Aubrey suddenly starting to explode like a firecracker. “You actually think you’re better than me, don’t you?” I asked, clenching my jaw.