Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                I was walking to the bookstore after school that day when a bright pink Bentley pulled up to the sidewalk that I was walking on. The window rolled down, revealing a blonde figure, as she stared at me with a light smile.

                “Aerial, let me give you a ride.” Clarice’s glossy lips stretched into a smile.

                I didn’t even spare her a glance, as I kept walking. “I don’t need one.”

                From the corner of my eye, I saw Clarice’s smile drop. She sighed, as she followed me, driving up slowly beside me. “Please, Aerial.” She begged with eyes full of desperation. “Can we talk?”

                Clarice’s pupils only grew large when she needed help, badly. I knew that from the time when we were in the seventh grade, and Clarice stared at me while we were taking a test. She barely studied for that one, and I knew by the look in her eye that she needed help from me. I ended up helping her by giving her hand signals while the teacher wasn’t looking. She passed with a ninety- four on that test.

I raised an eyebrow at the stupid pink Bentley that Clarice was driving in. I can’t believe I was going to get into that thing. I approached the car, as I opened the door to the passenger seat. When I got inside, Clarice looked pleasantly surprised, but she gave me a smile. “I’m so glad you’re here.” Clarice’s voice came out with relief.

I rolled my eyes, refusing to meet her eye. I stared out the window, crossing my arms. “Take me to the bookstore on Fairview Avenue.” I mumbled, eyes concentrated on a small pile of dog droppings that were on the edge of the sidewalk.

“I haven’t been to that bookstore since the eighth grade.” Clarice suddenly said, starting up the car. “I remember we went there for a book signing with Lois Duncan.”

I bit back a smile from the memory. “She was our favorite author in middle school.”

Clarice let out a short laugh. “I remember I cried when she signed my book. I have a picture of us outside the signing. My face was all red from crying, and you were laughing next to me. It’s still next to my nightstand.”

I licked my lips, feeling my heart pang with pain at the old memories that Clarice and I used to share, before she left me.

“I didn’t come here to talk about books with you.” I suddenly snapped, cutting to the chase. “What did you want me here for?”

Clarice’s grin fell from her face, as she kept her eyes on the road. “I’m sorry for what Aubrey almost told everyone earlier today.”

I crossed my arms. “Whatever. Is that it?”

I saw Clarice’s hand shaking as she gripped the steering wheel. Her face became white and pale, even under all of that makeup she had caked on. “There’s actually something I need to tell you.”