Chapter 17

Chapter 17

                Waking up early on Saturday morning’s to get breakfast at the diner was one of my favorite things to do. I mean, who doesn’t want to wake up to juicy and greasy bacon?

                Surprisingly, there was quite an amount of people at the diner this morning. People usually come here in the mornings to get take out breakfast.

                I sat in one of the empty booths by myself, waiting a fifteen minutes before the waitress came by with a thick stack of fresh pancakes, and extra bacon, upon my requests.

                “Do you want some coffee with that?” she asked, voice relatively tired with matching bags evident under her eyes.

                “I’m fine, thanks.” I muttered.

                She nodded, as the disappeared to the next table. I took the syrup that was in a bottle at the end of the table, and poured it all over my pancakes until they were dripping down the sides.

                “Is that enough syrup for you?” a voice suddenly interrupted me.

                I looked up, staring into Hayden’s hazel eyes. He gave me a lopsided smile, as he slid in the empty seat across from me. “You don’t mind if I sit down, right?” he asked, holding a mug of coffee, which I assumed he ordered.

                “Not at all.” I muttered, stuffing a strip of bacon into my mouth.

                Hayden stared at me intently, while I made a point not to look at him. I kept my focus on my breakfast, no matter how uncomfortable I felt while he was staring at me.

                “The rumors are true, aren’t they?” he asked suddenly, making me cringe.

                “Rumors, huh?” I asked, angrily poking into my pancakes. “So, you actually do listen to all that crap. Like the one where Natalia said I snorted crack.” I laughed bitterly, giving him a glare. “That one’s my favorite.”

                Hayden licked his lips, staring at me with guilt. “I’m sorry, Aerial. I was just caught up in everything. I forgot to talk to you about it first.”

                “Whatever.” I mumbled.

                Hayden pursed his lips. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. Daniel didn’t hurt you, did he?”

                “No.” I said.

                “Good thing Alex was there to be your knight in shiny armor, huh?” he tried to crack a joke to lighten things up. I couldn’t help but feel the corner of my lips twitch upwards. It was unbelievably hard to stay mad at Hayden.

                “I see you smiling, Aerial.” Hayden teased, poking my thumb. “I’m sorry.”

                I ignored him, shaking my head. I stuffed some bacon in my mouth, as Hayden pouted his lower lip out. “I’m really sorry. Like, really, really, really, sorry. Sorrier that I was when I accidentally drowned my goldfish when I was five. Sorrier than when I-”

                I groaned, letting a grin crack across my face. “Okay, okay, fine! You’re forgiven.”

                Hayden pumped his fist in the air, smiling wider that I was. “Yes!” he chanted, making a few people turn their heads towards us. He ignored them all, as he leaned closer towards me, grinning like an eager school boy. “So tell me, how romantic was it of Alex to beat up Daniel for you?”