Rosie

Chapter 1

'So girls, we've seen a sneaky peak of your new music video, which I must say looks fantastic! It just looks like you guys had a massive party for a few days!' Alan Carr, the host of Chatty Man, said as he grinned across the table at us.  

'It basically was!' Audrey delivered her heart breaking smile and I could see even Alan himself was smitten, which was by no means any small feat. Still, that smile had won us millions of votes last year, so I wasn't going to complain.  

'Everyone was so lovely, and the director had exactly the same vision as us and what we wanted,' Megan put in, and Alan turned to her.  

'Well that's always handy! Now,' he changed his face to look serious, 'you girls have been hailed as the new female version of One Direction, what do you have to say to that?'  

There was a pause as the five of us turned to one another, looking for an answer. Finally, I took the bullet and took a deep breath.  

'That is definitely a high accolade, I must say. But we are very different to One Direction, though I can say we have fans just as dedicated and lovely as those boys do. We do have similar backgrounds, both coming from such a well-known talent competition, but all we can hope for is half the success the boys have at the moment.'  

'What a diplomatic answer, Rosie, I'm impressed!' Alan said, smiling, 'I guess I shouldn't be surprised, haven't the girls named you Mamma Angel?' The rest of the girls chuckled, and I smiled.  

'Yeah, I recently discovered my nickname, even though I am not the oldest of the group!' 

'There are two days between us!' Olivia cried indignantly, 'and you definitely act the oldest!'  

'You girls recently celebrated your birthdays, didn't you?' Alan interjected, taking a sip of his drink as he crossed his legs.  

'We did. It was the first joint birthday I have ever had, it was such a good night,' I said.  

'That's right, I saw the pictures. You were both twenty, weren't you?' We nodded. 'Thanks for the invitation girls,' Alan said, faux upset, turning to the audience and giving them the 'pissed off' look that really got them going. I had to hand it to him; the man knew how to deliver.  

'Oh, Alan, you will definitely be top of the VIP list for next year!' Olivia cried, laughing along with the host and audience.  

'Well, that's alright then. Now, then, Kate, what's this I saw in the magazine the other day?' Alan pointed to the screen, and we all turned to see a photograph of Kate and Zac Efron leaving a club we were all at about a week ago. Closely, I watched all the girls try to stifle their reactions, as did I.  

'Oh god,' Kate played just the right amount of embarrassment as she covered her eyes with her hand, blushing prettily.  

'Come on, spill Kate!' Alan pushed for an answer, and we all turned to her expectantly, even though we all knew what she was about to say. We had been prepped for it.  

'Absolutely nothing, sorry! Zac was there at the same time as we all were, and apparently we left at the same time. Nothing more to report,' Kate shrugged and shook her head. Glancing at Alan, I could tell he didn't believe her.  

'It's actually my fault. I'm a huge fan and when I heard that Zac was in England promoting his new film I just knew I had to meet him!' I said quickly, and hoped that everyone missed the grateful look Kate sent me.  

'You hear that guys? Even huge celebrities such as Rosie Jones go all fan girl celebrity crush every now and then! What a relief to hear!' Alan said, looking delighted.  

The truth was, Kate had been on a date with Zac that night but needed to use us, and more importantly the image of the united band, as cover for it. They had met whilst we were out in L.A earlier in the year and he had invited her out the second he knew he was coming over. It was actually really sweet, and they had looked adorable together.  

'And did Mr Efron return the feelings?' Alan was asking. I looked at him blankly for a moment before realising what he was asking.  

'Oh, sadly no. I think I freaked him out a little bit.' Cue audience laughter. 

'Anyone else procuring the lead role in the love life of Miss Jones?' he questioned further, but I simply shook my head.  

'With the band and upcoming album, there is no time for relationships in my life.' I said, saying what I had already said a million times. Everyone wanted to know who we were dating, who we were seeing, who our old school friends were... it was all the same.  

And I had yet to get used to it.  

* * * * 

'Thank you so much girls, for coming on the show!' Alan squealed as he burst into our dressing room. We had finished filming the episode and were collecting our things before heading back to our London apartments, mine with Olivia and then Kate, Megan and Audrey shared one as well.  

'It was fun!' Audrey said from her makeup chair, where Clarice, our hairdresser, was undoing the bun Audrey's red hair had been in for the show, unravelling it and pulling it into a loose ponytail for her. Audrey always hated having her hair done; she said it was a waste of time because it was just too unruly.  

'You girls will have to come back anytime,' Alan carried on, linking arms with Kate and Olivia, 'I had a blast! If you'll excuse me though, I need to head out and get ready. I'm going out on the town tonight!' he said excitedly, walking toward the door.  

'Oh, with anyone special?' Megan asked from her cross legged position on the floor.  

'Oh, just a few guys I know. They're in a band too, not sure you'll have heard of them. One Direction?' he said innocently, and we all laughed.  

'I thought they were still in America?' Olivia said, the biggest fan in our group.  

'They got back the day before yesterday. I was lucky enough to get an invitation to hang out with them tonight. A bunch of us our hitting up Ministry of Sound tonight. You girls should come! Especially as you can all now legally drink,' he said knowingly, glancing at Megan. At eighteen, she was the youngest in our band.  

'Thanks for the invite Alan, but I think I'm gonna head home and crash. It's been a long day and we have a sound check tomorrow early on,' I said, grabbing my handbag off the sofa and smiling at him.  

'What? Rosie, no! Come on, it'll be fun!' Olivia said pointedly. Not getting it, she sighed at me, frustrated, and walked over to me, 'its One Direction, Ro-Ro. How can you pass up an opportunity like that? One of us could be the next Perrie Edwards!' 

I snorted with laughter at her words, 'Perrie Edwards? Why do you say her name like we don't know her? We saw her a couple weeks ago; we went out for drinks with Little Mix.'  

'It made it more dramatic, Rosie, please. Come out, please, please, please?' she begged, and soon I was powerless to her puppy dog eyes. 

'Come on, Mamma Angel...' the rest of the girls cooed. 

'Fine, we can go! But don't get your hopes up Liv; I'm pretty sure all of the guys are loved up at the moment. I mean, they aren't short of girl's phone numbers these days, are they?'  

'I wouldn't be so sure, Rosie,' Alan called from the doorway where he was waiting for an answer, 'word on the street is Harry Styles is single.'