Rosie

‘…and in other news, Harry Styles from the boy band One Direction is making no effort to hide his new budding romance with country singer Taylor Swift. After being seen out at Central Park Zoo, the young couple left arm in arm from the hotel where they are both saying, looking the ultimate budding romance.’ The news reporter said, her blonde hair bouncing all over the place as she struggled to keep her calm at the news. I would have continued to listen with a slight scowl on my face but my band mates chose that moment to come crashing into the lounge, my flat mate trailing behind.

          ‘Tell me what Liv just told us isn’t true!’ Kate said, her hair all ruffled so she looked like a cockatiel.

          ‘Yes, yes. It’s true. I am considering Scientology as my new religion,’ I answered with a serious face. I knew what she was raving about, but I didn’t want to talk about it right now.

          ‘Don’t play dumb, Jones! What the hell were you thinking, agreeing to go on a date with that…bastard! He broke your heart remember?’ Megan shouted, her eyes wide. Megan was slightly scary at the best of times, now she just looked downright lethal.  Ah, yes. My date with Jake. The very same date that was happing in just a few hours.

          ‘What do you want me to say? We bumped into one another, he wanted to apologise and take me out to say sorry. Nothing is going to happen, I swear!’ I cried indignantly, sitting up on the sofa and crossing my legs. One by one, my band mates slowly sat down, never taking their eyes off me.

          ‘Does this have something to do with him?’ Audrey said, nodding her head in the direction of the television. Glancing over, I saw that the news reporter was still rambling on about Harry and Taylor, pictures of them arm in arm leaving the hotel flashing up on the screen.

          ‘Who, Harry? Why would it have anything to do with him?’

          ‘Liv told us!’ Audrey said suddenly, and I rounded on my house mate.

          ‘You did what?’ I basically screamed, and she cowered under my gaze.

          ‘I’m sorry! It just slipped out! Come on though, Rosie, you shouldn’t hide something like this from your best friends!’ she defended herself, but I was too mad to listen.

          ‘It wasn’t your secret to tell! I truste-’

          ‘Hey! Now don’t start having a go at Liv, it’s not her fault. You shouldn’t have kept something like this from us, Rosie! We’re all hurt you didn’t think you could trust us enough!’ Megan interrupted, staring at me with her eyebrows raised.

          ‘Fine. But that was the whole point of keeping it a secret. So that I wouldn’t have to deal with this-’ I gestured to the TV, ‘where people would be hounding us all the time. Or you guys, judging me. Don’t deny it!’ I said when they started to protest, ‘I can see it in all your eyes. This is what I wanted, nothing more. The last thing I wanted was a relationship! We are both free to date other people, because you said it yourself, we are young and want to have fun! If you guys can’t understand that, then maybe you should all just leave!’ I shouted the last part as I jumped up and rushed from the room, heading into my bedroom and slamming the door shut behind me, taking deep breaths as I leant against it.

I shouldn’t have lost it like that. That was a mistake, those girls are my friends and they aren’t going to judge. I should go and apologise, I thought to myself. Instead, I headed over to my closet to pick out something to wear to my date with Jake later that night. The girls, not to mention me, needed some time to cool off before we confronted one another again.