Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Starbucks coffee or Costa coffee. I frowned trying to make the choice between the two as people rushed back and forth around me with suitcases. Families and friends of travellers stood waiting ready to greet those they were waiting for. I made my choice for the shortest queue and stumbled along to get my coffee yawning slightly. The two hour drive to the airport was bad enough, but now knowing that Loz and Ricky’s flight was an hour late due to a tropical storm or something irked me no end. I could have at least hung around the flat a little longer and watched TV, but instead I was surrounded by noisy sweaty people.

I smiled at the girl behind the counter, she was pretty hot. Her blond pixie haircut suited her well with a sweeping fringe that covered her blue eyes as she busied herself with the till. Around her wrist was a rainbow band which made me grin more.

“Hi what can I get you?” she smirked at me obviously noticing that I had been checking her out.

“Vanilla latte please.” I bit my lip slightly watching as she shouted back to the guy behind her who was making the coffee. I handed over the required money and moved away, chewing on my lip. Sure the girl was hot but I didn’t get the urge to hang around and flirt like I normally did, all that came to mind was another blue eyed blond. My eyes found my way back to the girl and as I watched her I noticed her smile, although bright it just wasn’t as wide as Lexi’s. Her eyes didn’t glint with the laughter that Lexi’s did when she smiled at people. The way she bit her lip just wasn’t the same, she pulled it a little too far into her mouth. I blinked and forced myself to look away, the same instant the guy making the coffee called my name. Sighing I grabbed my drink and headed over to the seating area by the arrivals door. Lexi dominating my thoughts I rolled my eyes wishing I could stop thinking about her.

I liked Lexi a lot, she was easily becoming one of my best friends. The sex was amazing as well. We had both managed to settle well into a routine of this friends with benefits, hanging out and just chilling watching TV and films and then of course jumping into bed. Majority of the time after the sex I would leave to go home or she would leave and go home. We had decided the whole sleepover thing posed too many problems with our ability to get ready for work. Although the definite undertone to that was that sleepovers was more likely to move us in the relationship direction. I was still pretty convinced that the whole relationship thing was something I certainly did not want.

“JENN!!!” I was startled from my musings by a loud shriek. A grin broke out on my face as I jumped from the seat I was on and ran around to greet Loz. She jumped into my arms and we both made a good effort to squeeze each other to death. “Oh Jenn Jenn Jenn Jenn Jenn. I missed you! But look look look!” My ears, I was pretty sure were about to bleed after she screeched into them, she was waving her left hand under my nose. I blinked rapidly as I tried to understand what was happening, something glinted on her finger.

“Wha..” I grabbed her hand and stared at the princess cut engagement ring taking up residence on her ring finger. “OH MY GOD LOZ!!!” I hugged her again a giant grin breaking out on my face “Congratulations. I am so happy right now!” I stepped back from her to see Ricky had appeared next to us as well carrying both their bags. “And congratulations to you too!” I hugged Ricky too.

He grinned “Thanks mate. I am just so relieved I have been stressing for weeks.”

“Come on guys enough with the hugging and crap I need to get home and show Ty. He is going to be so fucking jealous!” Loz called as she grabbed my hand and started dragging me towards the exit.

***

The rest of the week went by so fast it was unbelievable, before I knew it Bab’s, Sam, Kath, Charlie and I were sitting in the court house waiting to see who they wanted to pick to go on the stand and give evidence against Logan. The quickness of the date of the trial had surprised everyone, the general belief was Logan’s dad had used whatever connections he could to try and bring the case to trial quickly. Perhaps he thought that the prosecution wouldn’t have enough time to gather evidence, or prepare their argument. Whatever the reason there was little doubt that Logan hadn’t done the crime. I felt my stomach clench as the proceedings began. Earlier on in the day I had seen Logan walk past accompanied by two officers, his lawyer and his father.  The look he shot me had actually scared me, his eyes had darkened and an evil smile spread across his face, just as he was about to walk through the doors at the end of the corridor and disappear from sight he winked at me. Swallowing bile back at the memory and feeling the hatred for the guy start to fill my stomach. Charlie grabbed my hand and gave me a small smile.