Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Monday morning arrived with the sound of my alarm ringing in my ear, grunting I rolled out of bed and began my morning routine to get ready for work. Hunting out my tunic and trousers I pulled them on wondering how anyone could ever believe a nurse’s uniform was sexy.

Wandering into the bathroom I saw Loz already in there cleaning her teeth “Morning.” She mumbled, spraying toothpaste over the mirror. I laughed a little and grabbed my own toothbrush.

“You can clean the bathroom this week then.” I said as I yanked the cap of the toothpaste off, Loz just grunted.

The flat the three of us lived in was a pretty nice one, all open plan the living area down a step from the kitchen/ dining area. All three bedrooms were big enough for a double bed and had extra space. The only issue was the bathroom, one to share. The biggest bedroom did have an on-suite bathroom so being generous Loz and I decided that Ty should get it being the only guy. When my thoughts landed on Ty I felt a sudden crash of guilt again. Being a narcissistic, egotistical bitch, wallowing in my own self pity and loathing from the terrible hook up I had Friday night, it took until late Saturday evening to realise that there was something wrong with Ty. The reason, his boyfriend had dumped him, leading him to be around Saturday morning to comfort me, when it should have been the other way around.

An hour later I stood in the ward kitchen making yet another cup of coffee to help wake me up for what was sure to be another eventful day on ward thirty-six.

Slipping out the kitchen doors I nearly ran into Charlie who had just breezed in looking much too awake for my liking. “With me again in five” I muttered, Charlie who was well aware of my need for coffee before I could function steered me through the ward. Set out in a T- shape with areas one, two and three making up the main part and areas four and five sticking out either side, the entire place was manic this morning for some reason I couldn’t place my finger on. After taking my seat I relaxed into it and sipped my coffee.

Charlie disappeared for a few moments before sitting next to me, this time her expression slightly worried. “Looks like someone from nights lost the keys for the CD cupboard.”

“Shit, that’s not good!”  The CD cupboard was where all the controlled drugs like morphine were kept, those are defiantly the keys you don’t want to lose. Babs nearly flayed the last girl to misplace them.  After a tense ten minutes Ginny dropped into the seat next to me,

“David found them. They had been left on the desk in area three. Babs was about to blow a gasket I swear.” Laughing the morning continued as normal, first handover, then the drugs.

Unfortunately Logan the creep was still here so I was going to have to endure another day of his overly sexual comments.

“Why, why in the hell is that ass hole still here? I swear Charlie I’m going to strangle the prick if he doesn’t leave soon. I have never in my life had a patient I hated this much.” I continued to rant as Charlie looked the trolley to the wall.

“Well the twat of an on call doctor saw it in his infinite wisdom to put him back on IV antibiotics on Saturday morning after he had spiked a temp of 39.5. Which to be fair is what he should have done.” She must have saw the look on my face at that as she hastily continued, “I’m not saying I want him to stay any longer either I would have just kicked the twat out with oral antibiotics but it is procedure. Hopefully they will review it and he will be out this afternoon.”

I groaned and leaned on the desk peering into the men’s bay, Ant, our HCA for the day was having a bit of a struggle pushing Mr Johnson to the bathroom in the chair whilst attempting to carry what looked like half the store cupboard with him. “To be fair he wasn’t that bad this morning.” Charlie’s voice washed over my thoughts.