Chatting in the Rain

The next time that I woke, I saw that it was night. Dr. George was asleep in the recliner facing me, his face shadowed by the lamp that had been left on. I had the sudden urge to do something. I wanted to move, to feel productive. Maybe this was just the god energy that I had stored up over the days, and now I was all hyped up, but I had to move. 

        I'll go back outside. Just for a little bit. Maybe even practice with a few of them. I slipped off of the couch, careful of my open leg. (Bliss and I had agreed that it was time to let it breath for a bit.) Slowly but surely, I walked out the front door and into the hallway. It was even darker in the nighttime and the flicker lights did nothing to help. The window at the end of the hallway was broken, and letting it in a cool breeze as I walked closer and closer to it. 

        I would've gone and looked outside, but the door was closer, so I went through it instead. I felt like a turtle, slowly limping down the stairs. Just the other day, I relyed on Bliss as a support, but I was healing quickly, and nothing could stop me. When I reached the bottom, sweat trickled down my back, but it was cooled as I stepped outside. 

        There was a small breeze, gently slanting a downpour of rain. The sun had just started to appear, giving the sky a pink tint. It was beautiful. The ground was wet and muddy, but welcoming. Not wanting to climb upstairs again for bandages, I ripped the hem of my pants and wrapped my leg. As crude as it was, it would keep my leg clean while I mucked around in the rain. 

        The demons were just as persistent as usual, clawing through the fence, trying, reaching to get to me. I gripped my sword and limped over to them. The rain whipped at my bare chest, but it made me feel clean. As I got closer to the monsters, all of my energy began pulsing. It took everything I had to stand there and not climb the fence to slice them personally. 

        "Good mornin' fellas." I said, sticking my sword through one of the chains, piercing a pale demon in the head. It was large, with a muscly build and bald head. It's one eye went blank as it slid to the ground and lay still. More demons shoved forward to take it's place. 

        One demon in particular though, was a frail creature that looked like a human. It was naked, and trying to cover itself frantically in the back of the crowd. It's thin frame was being trampled on underneath the others. It hissed and whined, but was still tormented. "Come on little beastie, make them pay." I whispered, watching it toil around screeching. Suddenly, bones started molding, teeth started sharpening and the demon began growing. It convulsed and grew into a larger being. 

        Muscles began growing on it's arms and legs. Hair began sprouting on it's scalp. It was sandy brown. It turned to face me, and revealed myself. The Shape Shifter stood, and pushed through the crowd of demons, just to face me. For a moment, I was awed. "Hello beastie." I whispered, neglecting to notice that it was still naked. 

        "Eínai nekrós." It hissed through my mouth. "Eínai nekrós. Eínai nekrós. Eínai nekró-." The sound of flesh squelching finished the beast's sentence as I plunged my sword through the fence, and into it's stomach. It stared at me with raging concentration. I will not die. It seemed to say. 

        "Yes, eínai nekrós, just know that she won't be the only one." I whispered. Quickly, I turned my sword inside it's gut. The creature's eyes rolled back in it's head, and it fell to the ground. "She is dead. She is dead." It had said. I bit my lip, tasting blood. "You all will pay for his ignorance." I said, plunging my sword through the fence. 

        Soon the stench of blood and rot began filling my nose. It was so familiar, and I wished the Alessa were here to smell it with me. We'd always loved the smell of victory. "Stop it, Erich. Quit grieving." I told myself, shoving my sword into another demon's stomach.