Stay For Tonight: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"You are eighteen, right?" Kellin asked as we were walking down the street away from the arcade.

The streets at night were scary. Walking these at night is something I defiantly don't want to do alone. The only light was from the moon and streetlights, but the streetlights don't really help anything. Most of them are going out.

"Turned eighteen about a month ago,"

"Okay, good. Now I won't feel like a pedophile," he joked. "And happy late birthday,"

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Thanks,"

"I don't want to sound creepy or anything, but do you live with your parents or by yourself?"

I swallowed. "I live with my dad," I said, cringing as I called him that.

I hate calling him my dad. He doesn't act much like a father. He never has.

"What time would he want you home?" Kellin asked. "I wouldn't want to be responsible for getting you in trouble.

I'm already in trouble. Big trouble.

"I'm eighteen, remember? I don't have a curfew,"

"So he wouldn't mind you staying out all night with some boy you just met?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me, Kellin?" I joked.

He laughed. "No, that's not it at all! I just don't want you to get in trouble,"

I smiled. "Well, you're not just some boy. And let's just say that he wouldn't be too pleased with me,"

"What could he do though? You're eighteen. He can't ground you or anything like that,"

I looked down at my feet. "Oh, you don't want to know," I mumbled.

He looked over at me, puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing,"

Kellin squeezed my hand. "You don't have to tell me, but just know that I'm hear to listen if you want to talk to someone."

I looked up at him and bit my lip.

"You do that a lot," he said.

"Do what?"

"Bite your lip,"

"Oh," I said looking back down at the ground.

"It's cute though," he said smiling.

-------------

"Where are we?" I asked as he led me to a huge field.

He shrugged. "Just some random field I found a while back,"

The grass was soft and green. The sky above was clear which made it easy to see every star in the sky. The trees around us blew in the wind making me shiver.

"You cold?" he asked me.

I nodded my head, shaking.

"Come here," Kellin sat down in the grass and I sat down beside him. He looked over at me. "Why are you so far away from me?"

He smiled and pulled me closer to him, laying down on the grass making my head lay on his chest. I snuggled up to him and he wrapped his arms around me keeping me warm. We laid there in silence for a while just staring at the sky. I could hear his heartbeat as his breathing slowed.

"Kellin?" I said.

"Yeah?" he said stroking my hair.

"You said earlier that if I ever needed someone to talk to, you'd listen..." I said trailing off.

"Mhm," Kellin said kissing the top of my head.

I bit my lip. I wanted to explain to Kellin about my dad, but I couldn't form the right words. They we're on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't spit them out.

"You can tell me when you're ready," he said.

"My dad," I started, "well, he's not exactly what'd you call the best dad. He's not a good dad at all. I hate just having to call him my dad. He's nothing like what a father should be. He doesn't deserve to be called a father at all. He's never been one. Maybe he was when I was a baby, but as I grew up he didn't act like one at all. He drank all the time. I don't think that there ever was a time when he wasn't drinking.

"My mom," my voice cracked as I started talking about her, "she was amazing. She was always there for me. My dad was abusive. Abusive to both of us. He made her become depressed. There was never a time where she was truly happy. One day, my dad and her went out to the store. He was drunk as usual. My mom offered to drive but my dad refused to let her. He said that he was perfectly capable of driving. On their way back from the store, they got into an argument and he got angry. He was so angry that he wouldn't pay attention to stop signs, red lights, or anything like that. He ran a red light and a huge truck drove by and hit them. My mom was killed right on impact, but my dad lived," a tear escaped my eye. "He didn't deserve to live. He should've been the one to die. My mom should've lived. My mom never did anything to deserve to die. The bastard who I have to call dad should be the one dead right now.

"Once she died, he began drinking even more. He blamed everything on me. Her death, his drinking problem. He said he never had a drinking problem before I was born. To him I can never do anything right. I'll always be a fuck up in his eyes. He swears that he hates me. He wishes that I was never born. He doesn't want me. He makes sure that I know that. He hits me all the time. I have bruises all over my body because of him. One time, he beat me so bad that I had to go to the hospital. At first he refused to take me, but then he thought about how bad it would be if there was a dead body in his house. He said that I got into a bad bike accident just so he wouldn't get in trouble.

"I'm trying so hard to get out of that house, but it's impossible. I had to sneak out just to go to the concert tonight. He knows I did it though. He called out my name as I was climbing out the window. I'm scared to go back home. Who knows what he'd do to me? I never have any money. He always finds it and takes it. Without money, I can't leave that hell of a home. I can't go to college because he refuse to pay for it. He says that I'd just fuck it up anyways. I'm scared that I'm going to be stuck here forever until he dies."

I rolled up my jacket sleeve to show him my wrist, crying. "I cut. A lot. I've tried to kill myself many times. I have nothing to live for anymore. My mom's dead. My dad doesn't want me. No one else in my family wants me. Ariana's parents hate me. I have nothing. I have no one."

Kellin rubbed my back. "Rae, I'm sorry," he said his voice cracking.

Was he crying?

"You don't deserve that at all," he continued. "I'm not letting you go back there tonight. I'm not going to let him hurt you. Actually, I'm not letting you go back there ever again. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm going to make sure you never go back there again. And you do have someone. You have me now,"

I cried harder, and he held me tighter in his arms.

"I knew skipping out on the party to hang out with you was a good idea," Kellin said. "Usually we don't even invite the girls to hang out with us. We know that they're just fan girls, but we knew that you guys were different."

"Why me? You could have any girl you want, but why me? I'm nothing special..." I asked, wiping my eyes.

"Because you're not just any girl. I've only known you for a few hours, and I can already tell that you're more than special. There's something about you that no other girl has. What you do to me is something no other girl can do to me. You make me feel something that no one's ever made me feel before. No other girl could compete with you. Please, just stay here with me. Just please stay for tonight." he said putting a finger under my chin and tilting my head up so I was looking at him.

His eyes were red, and I saw tear stains on his face. He was crying.

Kellin pulled me closer to him, and he kissed me for the second time tonight. But this kiss was different than the first. He kissed me more passionately, running his fingers through my hair. Kissing him was different than kissing anyone I've ever kissed before. It felt like more than a kiss. Everyone else I ever kissed, I liked kissing just because it was fun. But not with Kellin. I actually felt something when he would kiss me.