Chapter 19: Scrap of Hope

Jake's POV

Stacy just kissed me.

Woah.

I shook my head, trying to get my thoughts straight. Wasn't it just a minute ago she was basically telling me she wasn't ready to be an adult? Then she kissed me? Was that supposed to make sense?

I stood up, running my hands through my hair and feeling my heart beat a mile a minute. 

We kissed.

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my lips. "Woah," I breathed, disbelief filling me. 

"Jake?" 

I turned around. It was Lance. The other guys were walking up behind him, chattering happily.

"Yeah?" I responded.

"What's got you smiling like a cheshire cat?" he asked, grinning at me.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I shook my head, laughing. It felt like my heart was too big for my chest, like it might overflow. "Can I tell you something?" I asked lowering my voice and glancing at the other guys to confirm they were too far away to hear.

"Yeah?" he asked, leaning in with curiousity.

"Stacy-" I started but found myself chuckling again. Lance watched me with a grin of his own spreading across his face.

"What?" he asked, obviously curious about what had me so happy.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Stacy kissed me."

Lance's jaw dropped. He stared at me with wide eyes. "Are you serious?"

I nodded, smiling. 

"Woah," he breathed. "Just now?"

I chuckled. "Yeah."

"That's crazy man," Lance said. "You and Stacy?"

I smiled, Stacy and me. The words just seemed to fit.

"Are you sure?" Lance joked, looking at me like I was mental escapee.

I couldn't help but laugh as I nodded my head.

I noticed Matt walk up to the porch and I called to him. "Hey man, can I have a cigarette?"

Matt chuckled before reaching in his back pocket and pulling out the newly purchased box of Marlboro cigarettes.

"What am I even supposed to do with these?" he asked.

Lance shrugged. "Display it on your wall. Count it as a coming of age gift. From all of us."

"Can we at least act out a scene from Westside story?" Harry asked.

I laughed. I felt on top of the world. Like nothing could bring me down.

"Oh hey Matt," I said, stopping him before he went back inside. I reached into my back pocket, pulling out the concert tickets and handing them to him. "Happy Birthday. From me and Stace."

His eyes widened. "Pentatonix?" he asked in disbelief. 

I smiled. "This Wednesday."

Matt beamed, pulling me in for a hug. "Thanks Jake."

"No problem," I responded. 

They group walked back inside, Lance pausing a moment to hold the door open for me. I followed him in, becoming reimmersed in the loud music and chatter. The room was darker; a dance floor had been started in the middle of the room and people were milling around the edges talking.