Chapter 18: Men in Black

Crap, crap, crap. I'm not sure what I just saw but it sure looked like a whole lot of bare skin and a very surprised Jake.

"Jake..." I trailed off, my cheeks burning hot.

I heard a smooth chuckle from the other side of the door and the sound of rustling. Jake opened the door fully clothed in a black long-sleeve shirt and dark jeans. He ran a hand through his messy hair and gave me a mischevious grin. "What Stace? Never learned to knock?" he teased, his eyes twinkling.

I pursed my lips, my cheeks growing hotter. "Quiet, you."

He chuckled again, throwing his arm around my shoulder. "No worries Stace, I was only in my boxers."

"Why were you even changing?" I asked, trying to ignore his nearness and his intoxicating musky scent.

"It's a secret," he said mysteriously, tapping his finger lightly on the tip of my nose.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What kind of secret?"

He shrugged. "Hey have you seen Lance?"

"Jake..."

"Nevermind, I think I just saw him," Jake said, pulling me down the stairs with him into the crowd. He slid between people, his warm hand wrapped around my wrist to lead me through the crowd behind him. 

"Hey Lance," Jake called out casually as we reached him.

Lance turned to face us. "Hey you two," he said. "What's up?"

"Just wanted to make sure you're ready for tonight," Jake said, giving him a pointed look. They seemed to exchange some sort of silent message. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms across my chest. Okay now this is just ridiculous. He's trying to make me suspicious.

"Oh, right," Lance said, glancing at me. "Is she in on this?"

Jake shook his head quickly. "Nope, so keep it on the down low."

I scoffed earning a playful grin from Jake. Hardly on the 'down low' since it was practically all he could talk about. Whatever was going on it better be really good if he was making such a fuss over it.

Lance left, heading in the direction of the stairs presummably to change just as Jake had done.

"Hey, I'm gonna get some soda," Jake said. "You want some?"

"Sure," I said. I went and sat down on the couch as Jake left in the direction of the kitchen. I was just pulling out my phone when the couch dipped beside me.

"Hey Stacy," Matt said cheerfully, his lips pulled into a wide grin.

"Hey Matt," I said, smiling. "How's the party so far?"

"Wonderful!" His bright eyes gleamed with happiness. "Thanks for throwing it for me!"

"Of course," I replied.

"Hey there birthday boy!" Harry cheered as he walked up to us.

Matt stood and gave Harry a hug. Harry was wearing a black sweatshirt and black pants. I was noticing a lot of boys in black. Actually, pretty much every boy who I might imagine would be in on some kind of suspicious activity was in fact wearing all black.

"Hey Harry, nice outfit," I commented. "Going for a black widow kinda look?"

Harry smiled. "Yeah, black flatters my figure. Don't you think?" He turned to the side, pretending to suck in his gut.

I chuckled and shook my head. Jake returned just as Matt was swept back into the crowd.

I took the cup of punch from him. "Thanks."