Chapter 24: Friends with Benefits?

After putting my clothes on, I hesitated outside of Tracy's room. Should I go in and try to explain things?

It didn't seem to make much sense. I didn't know for sure that she was actually thinking we were sleeping together. It's not like she'd actually confirmed that. And what if I tried to clear something up that she hadn't even considered? Would she then think that I was lying to her to try and hide something? 

This is too complicated. I can't figure it out.

I shook my head, heading back to my room.

When I opened the door I was assaulted by a pair of large hands grabbing me around my waist, pulling me forward and shutting the door swiftly behind me.

I stumbled backwards on reflex, staring with wide eyes at Jake. He pinned me against the door, grasping my wrists and lifting them above my head so that I was forced onto my tiptoes. The fire in his sharp, calculating blue eyes suggested he was on a mission.

"Jake?!" I cried out in surprise. "What are you-"

I was cut off when a warm pair of lips covered mine swiftly. 

I gasped in surprise, my lips parting in shock to let in his hot, moist breath. He slid his tongue into my mouth before I could even comprehend what was happening and my eyes practically bugged out of their sockets. I'd never been kissed like this before and I was embarrassed at the feelings he was igniting in me. Heat spread through my body, settling in places I wasn't used to feeling.

His lips worked methodically against mine and I felt my eyes flutter closed on their own accord, my body melting into his. I'd forgotten that he was holding onto my wrists so I was surprised to find myself being restrained as I reached out to touch him.

Noticing my urge to move, he let go of my wrists allowing me to wrap my arms tightly around his neck, pulling him closer to me. 

His hands roughly gripped me by the hips, causing heat to flare out across my lower region. My heart beat wildly at the sensations filling my body and clouding my thoughts.

His lips worked their way across my jaw line and began traveling down the soft skin of my neck. I craned my head back on instinct, allowing him more access. 

"Jake," I gasped out, surprising myself by the husky quality of my own voice. If I wasn't so distracted by the feeling of his smoldering kisses I would have been blushing down to my toes at my embarrassing reaction.

Suddenly he stopped, stepping away from me with a small grin on his pink lips.

My brow furrowed and I immediately missed the empty space where his presence used to be. Did I not notice someone knock at the door? What was I missing here?

The corners of his lips curled into a smug grin. "It seems, Queen Stacy, that you have been overthrown."

Then his lips pulled back to reveal his straight white teeth as he smiled triumphantly.

My jaw dropped and my cheeks heated in anger and embarrasment. "Were you... playing me?"

"And you liked it," he grinned, even having the nerve to wink at me.

I could barely form a coherent thought. My hormones were raging, blood pumping swiftly through my viens and settling in my cheeks as I looked at Jack in horror, knowing that he could see just exactly how much that kiss had affected me. "Th-that's beside the point," I stuttered indignantly, my voice was embarrassingly breathless.

"Oh really? Is it?" he taunted. Then he took a step back, taking on a very dramatic expression: brows raised, eyes closed, the back of his hand touching his forehead like a damsel crying for help. "Jaaake," he moaned in a very high-pitched voice.

I crossed my arms, glaring angrily at him. "Fine."

He dropped the facade, laughing at me. 

"You know what?" I said, unsure what I was saying but just knowing I had to get back at him. "Game on, Jake Mathews. You wanna play me?" I challenged, raising my eyebrows at him. "You'd better watch your back." I hesitated. "Or you're front. Watch your lips? You know what- just watch yourself!" With that I stormed out of the room.

~~~

A few hours later I was still fuming over the encounter with Jake. Although I have been known to play a few practical jokes in the past those were nothing like this. I have to trick Jake into kissing me? Why would I sign up for this?

I was sun tanning in a lawn chair on the back porch. To be honest I just needed a good excuse for a cat nap and tanning seemed like a good enough reason.

I practically screamed when a low voice thundered in my ear: "Hello pretty girl."

I toppled unceremoniously out of the lawn chair, landing roughly on my butt and cursing in surprise.

However my cussing was quickly drowned out with booming laughter and my gaze snapped up to a very amused Jake who was currently doubled over, clutching his stomach.

I glared at him, huffing angrily. "Oh yeah, you're so funny," I grumbled, rolling my eyes. "It's not like it's that hard to scare someone..."

He continued laughing for more than I personally considered reasonable. I managed to pull myself back up into my chair and slip my sunglasses on, shutting my eyes and taking deep breathes. Finally he sobered up and stopped laughing but I could still hear the amusement in his voice when he spoke.

"Wait, what was that?" he asked.

My brow furrowed slightly. "What?"

"That thing you said about it being easy to scare someone." I could hear the playful grin in his voice.

"If you catch them off guard I mean..."

"Huh," he mused. "Funny, I don't recall you being very successful in your attempts to 'catch me off guard' as you say. I seem to be remembering a specific incident with an unsuccessful hiding spot behind my bedroom door. It may or may not have ended in a bloody nose..."

"Shut up," I grumbled.

"What? Does that bother you?"

I frowned, biting on my lower lip. "No."

"Uh huh." I felt a weight on the chair next to me and I cried out in surprise when Jake layed down next to me on the lawn chair.

"Jake!" I cried out, trying to push him off as the chair teetered procariously under the uneven weight. "What the heck! This chair is not big enough for two people!"

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me up against him. I was on my back while he was snuggling in to my side, nuzzeling his nose against my neck. His large arm under my back was uncomfortable and I squirmed around.

"You realize how uncomfortable this is," I said pointedly, twisting around to find a comfortable position. Before I knew what was happening he lifted me and placed me ontop of him so that my legs were straddeling his hips and my hands were pressed up against his chest. "Jake!" I cried indignantly.

"What?" he said with a lazy grin. "You said you were uncomfortable."

I frowned at him trying to get off but his hands flew up to grasp onto my hips and hold me down on top of him.

"Jake stop."

"We're both more comfortable this way," he smirked, waggling his eyebrows at me.

I could feel his eyes casually scanning my body, admiring my bikini and my tan skin. A blush rose to my cheeks as his eyes slowly pulled back up to mine. 

This was my chance.

My eyes widened when I realized what I'd just thought. No. I can't seduce Jake. No way. I have no experience with this kind of stuff. I'll just make a fool of myself.

But really it was the perfect opportunity.

And I didn't even have to think about it as I leaned in to bring my lips closer to his.