Chapter Nineteen

Vamorys' P.O.V.

The night was almost over when Aeremys came up to Salaera and myself with all of her belongings. "Where are you going?" Salaera asked her. Aeremys set her bags down and said, "The wedding was absolutely beautiful. Mom and Dad would have loved it. I have been away from Nuxvar for far too long. It is time for me to return. When do you return to Easthaven and Aredale?" Salaera looked to all of her guests and said, "I leave first thing in the morning. I'm sure that my kingdom misses having their Queen." Aeremys turned to me and asked, "What about you Vamorys? I'm sure that Dynir would love to be with more of his kind that he doesn't have to kill." I sighed and said, "You're probably right. I'll be heading East at dawn." She gave a slight nod and picked her things back up. "I guess this is farewell. I will see you both again eventually. Stay safe out there and send a raven when you have safely returned home." Aeremys said as she turned to leave. At the last minute she looked over her shoulder and said, "I love you both."

I should probably start packing and get to bed soon. I have a long journey tomorrow. I thought to myself as I stood from my chair, leaving the banquet hall.

~~~

Fili's P.O.V.

I looked all over the hall for Vamorys, but I couldn't find her anywhere. Aeremys and Salaera were missing as well. "Where did the girls go?" I asked Kili from across the table. He shrugged and said, "I don't know. I saw Aeremys carry out her belongings about fifteen minutes ago, they might all be leaving tonight."

My eyes went wide and it seemed like my heart stopped beating. She can't leave yet. I haven't told her how I feel. I thought as I stood from the table and made my way to the room that Vamorys was staying in.

I stood in front of her door catching my breath before knocking on her door. I raised my fist, but before I could let it fall on the door, it swung open, revealing Vamorys. She was just in her night clothes, but she looked beautiful. Her hair was in a loose up do and there were still some remnants of makeup on her face from when she tried to rub it off. She was perfect.

"What can I do for you Fili? I was just headed to grab some water for the night." She said in a tired voice. I had a million things going through my head, and I couldn't find the right thing to say to her. All I wanted to say was, "I love you." My cheeks went red and I felt a little embarrassed. I didn't mean to say it that way. I wanted it to be romantic and sweep her off her feet.

She stood there for a while in silence, looking down at me. I couldn't tell what she was thinking, but it looked like her mind was just as scrambled as mine.

"At first I thought that you did." She said, "But then you went on avoiding me for a month. At first I liked you as well, but now, I don't know what my feelings are. This seems almost last minute Fili. I have to go back to Easthaven in the morning. I have been away for far too long and my people need me." My heart broke and I cursed myself. I should have just listened to Kili in the first place and then maybe I would have actually stood a chance.

~~~

Vamory's P.O.V.

I walked past Fili and made my way to get the water that I would need later on tonight. I felt bad for the little man, but he is a Prince of Durin, he could get whoever he wanted to be his Queen. He was the heir to the throne and didn't need to be running off to a different kingdom.

On the way back to my room, I wasn't paying any attention as to where I was going and ran right into Kili, spilling my water all over him and myself. "I am so sorry Kili." I said. "My head must have just been in the clouds. He nodded and said, "It is quite alright. Did my brother find you? He's been meaning to talk to you for the past couple of weeks, but you were so busy with your sister's wedding that he never really could pull you aside and talk." I nodded my head and said, "Yes, we talked outside my room before I went to go get my water." Kili put on a smile and said, "So, what did you say? Did you say yes? I bet you did. Show me the ring." Fili was going to propose? I thought to myself. I feel like such a jerk now. "He... he never got to that." I said to Kili with no emotion in my voice. "Please excuse me. I need to go."

I hurried back to my room in hopes that he was still there, but he had already left. I entered my room and laid on my bed, too distraught to sleep.

My one chance at love and I blew it. I could have actually had a man that loved me for who I am and would respect me. A man that didn't want to be with me just so he could be King. A man that stole my heart as I stole his.

I eventually fell into a dreamless state, only to be woken moments later by a loud knocking at my door. I stood in the dimly lit room and shuffled to the door. I slowly opened it, letting a loud creak echo down the halls.

I looked down to find Fili standing there once again. "May I come in?" He asked. I stepped aside and motioned him in. We both sat on my bed and looked at each other. It was obvious that he had been crying not long before he came back to my door. "Listen Vamorys. I need to say some things and I just need you to listen. Okay?" Fili asked. I nodded my head and he continued on talking. "I don't know your whole story and I don't know what all has happened to you in the past, but I can promise you that I will never be those men. Ever. I will always respect you. I will always be by your side. I will be with you no matter what. You are the only woman that I want to be with. Vamorys, I love you. Like I really love you. More than I have ever loved anything else in my entire life. Even more than my mister McStuffins that I had when I was three. I..." I put my finger up to his lips to shush him and said, "I love you too Fili."