Chapter 27 - Handcuffs are soo last season!

Chapter 27  - Handcuffs are soo last season!

Loyal was tired and dirty.  He’d had a long night in a small cell with a very drunk elderly man who insisted on calling him ‘bro’ and kept on saying ‘I’m down with it’ like that magically wiped 50 years off his age.   It didn’t help that he had spent most of today answering questions which he didn’t understand.  All he knew was that the guy who interviewed him didn’t seem to understand the word no.  Instead he kept asking the same question over and over and for some reason expected a different answer.  By the end Loyal was holding his temper back with a thread as delicate as the lace thongs Anna loved to wear.

Now he just wanted to go home, crawl into his own bed and sleep for a week, but none of those things were going to happen.  Instead he sat in the interrogation room with his head in his hands.  Someone had given him a shirt, after he had handed his to Patience, but that was about the only good thing that had happened recently.  Actually yesterday would have to go on record as the worst ever.  He went gay because, ironically, it turned out he was in love with a girl, then he let his stubborn pride get in the way of what he felt and now he had lost the only woman he had ever loved, ohh and he was in the process of being arrested with his best friend and sister.  Biggest disaster day ever!  But today was a new day right?

“Mr Lee, Mr Loyal Lee?” A voice asked as the door shut, “I am your lawyer.”

“I can’t afford a lawyer,” Loyal said without looking at the voice, “All our assets, the house, cars, bank accounts have been seized and frozen due to them being purchased via illegal means, apparently.  And I’m not going to date girls for money, prostitute my body, or babysit anyone’s bratty kids.”

“Let’s just say I’m doing this as a favour,” The lawyer laughed as he sat opposite Loyal.  “So you are the quarterback we hear so much about.  I wish I’d had a son like you but it wasn’t to be.  I love my daughter but girls just aren’t the same are they.  She plays a great game of ball but what good is that?  Everyone knows that woman’s sporting teams are a joke, she might as well have taken up knitting, writing chick-lit, or any of the hundreds of pointless jobs that women do to fill in their time.  But where are my manners, I’m Andy Palmer.”

“Palmer?” Loyal looked up to find the man smiling at him. 

“My little girl thinks the sun shines out of your ass.  Which is a relief, let me tell you.  The wife and I were starting to suspect that she was... you know... batting for the girls team.  Or even worse, that she was going bring home one of those library geek boys with the spots on their faces.  Thank you son, you’ve answered all my prays, if your one and only child is a girl the best to can pray for is to have her fall in love with a boy who knows what to do with a football.  I’ve seen you play son, you have a future in football.  Did she tell you I was the school Quarterback too?  I would have gone pro but I busted my knee.  After that I had to join the family firm instead.”

“You’re Nate’s father?” Loyal looked at Andy Palmer.  He was wearing a suit but he was the sort of guy that probably still wore his old football jacket on the weekends. 

“Yes, Nate’s my little girl.  She practically begged me to come down here and defend you, so don’t you worry about money.  I’m pretty sure we can get you out of here.  They claim you have been supplying the team with illegal supplements, but they are still waiting for the tox screen.  Once they have that we’ll know what charges you’ll be facing.”

“Charges? But...” Loyal couldn’t understand it.  Those Japanese sweets tasted like crap but as far as he knew the stimulant thing was a prank.  But these guys were serious agent dudes.  They didn’t make mistakes like that.  Maybe someone had tampered with them actually adding something illegal to them without him knowing about it.   He was in serious trouble if that was true.