45- The truth always comes out

Makena's POV

Stepping out of the shower after I had cleaned up most of the mess in the room, I grab for the towel and wrap it around my growing waist. I was feeling a bit grateful that most of the clothes that he had bought for me were still there in the room. I selected dark grey cotton pants and a pink tank top with writing across the front. Hearing the distinct sound of the door opening, I peek out of the bathroom to see who might have just come in. I saw Charlie standing there, looking rather sadly back at me, and wondered what was up. "What's going on?" I asked her.

"Come on Makena, I need you to follow me. Your husband is concerned about your safety," she replied to my question.

"Jesse is here?" I ask her in confusion, trying not to let my excitement show. But I was happy he had come for me, I felt safer knowing he was here for me.

"Yeah, he's just down the stairs talking with my Dad. Come on, he wants to see you!" She whispered as she turned around and walked out. I studied her closely, this didn't seem right to me at all. I felt this sense of dread wash over me and I knew that if I were to follow her, then something horrible would happen to me or to my son or to my husband. But in truth, I guess I didn't really have a choice here, did I?

"Okay." I say quietly and follow her down the stairs. When we reached the bottom of the stairs and I saw her looking towards the direction of the kitchen, my stomach sank. I knew then where we were headed and I had no desire ever to go there again.

"He's just down here." She reassured me as she nudged me towards an open door, and now the darkened stairway was in front of me. She walked slowly behind me as I took the steps one at a time, my heart beating so fast. 

I felt sick to my stomach, holding onto the railing as I struggled to walk down the stairs. Once there, I immediately noted that Jesse was tied down near the table, the one he had tied me with. The gash in his forehead was still dripping with blood. I stare down at him with wide eyes, uncertain of what to expect, my husband is suffering the same punishment I did the first time I tried to run away from him.

I turn my head to look at him when I hear him start talking. I listen closely to what he has to say. "Well, well, well... Hello Makena! Do tell me, does this feel at all familiar to you?" He asked, and I felt a chill run up my arms and down my spine causing me to flinch as I stared into his dark eyes. I was afraid of what he was going to do to Jesse or to me when he had a sinister smile on his face. He stared me down while waiting for my answer when a happy voice came through the fog.

"Makena... you're not hurt are you?" Jesse asked as he showed excitement and I turned to face my Husband - the man I had learned to love. Looking at him tied down on that table, I felt a tear slide down my face. I had to admit to myself that I didn't like seeing him that way. But something else popped into my mind, something I realized made me so mad and confused, that I needed answers. I didn't care if Charlie and Marcel were here, I needed to know the truth from the past, and I needed to know it right now.

"Why Jesse, why would you lie to me?" I shouted at him, not bothering to hide my feelings. I had to know the truth; I couldn't stop any of this if I didn't know the story. But I also wanted to tell him how much I missed his warm touch, I wanted to tell him at that moment that I loved him. But Charlie kept replaying in my head, so I knew I needed the answers. It was time to get them now. He looked up at me as if I had surprised him by even asking me that. He stared at me, trying to figure out what I meant in his head. 

"Makena... I do not know what these idiots have told you, but I have not lied to you, not on purpose at least." He explains sympathetically. "What did these idiots say I lied about?" he asks me.