3

“Everyone, make way for your majesties.” Blythe jeered as I gave him a sour look.

“I’m serious B, one day...I will smack you.” I was only partially joking. The others may have found it funny, but it made me uncomfortable, it wasn’t something that I liked to think about. The idea of Ryder and I being heirs to some mystical, yet totally real, kingdom, may I point out, was no laughing matter at all, it was petrifying!

“You know, I actually believe you.” He laughed while kissing me on the side of my head, plopping down on the bean bag of Winter’s den.

“I made cookies!” Pippa came singing down the hall as she sat a silver platter down along with an array of desserts and pizza. Blythe tried to steal one, getting a smack on the wrist instead.

“Ouch!” he laughed. “What was that for?”

“Not so fast! This get-together is in honor of Riley coming back, she gets first dibs.” She cooed, giving me a warm smile in the process.

“Yes, and we’ve all missed her.” Winter agreed as she caught the end of the conversation. She sat three sodas down before coming to squeeze in between Ryder and I.

“Haven’t we?” Soren agreed, following behind her. I always found it funny, and slightly strange to be honest, that they always came trailing right after each other, they were all too in sync.

I cleared my throat and smiled as I thanked them. Their affection was nice, but it made me feel bad. They were all here for me right now, yet I had been the one avoiding them. “Guys, really, you don’t have to-”

“We want to.” Ryder smiled while resting a hand on my knee, Winter had moved to sit on Blythe’s lap. “Not sure if you’ve realized, but it’s been a year since you’ve come into our lives, which has been a real blessing Ri, you’ve changed us, challenged us,” he smirked while giving me a look. “And you’ve brought us all closer together as a family.” He brushed my hair back, kissing me on the nose as Soren walked by and squeezed my shoulder.

There were tears in my eyes now, how could I have dealt to be away from them for so long, they were my family, and they made me feel complete, I finally felt like I belonged. “Crap, look at what you did.” I sniffed while they laughed.

Avery and Aspen came walking in hand in hand. “Sorry we’re late.” He started while placing a cake carrier down on the table. “My mother made a fuss over making you your favorite cake.” He rolled his eyes casually as I cleared my throat, smiling slightly.

“It’s fine, give her my thanks.” Something in me longed to say more, but I just couldn’t.

“So can we eat now?” Blythe whined.

“You’re such a child.” Winter quipped. “Riley, please take something before he throws a temper tantrum.”