2

“So, do you plan on staying here?” I jumped at the sound of Ryder’s amused voice. “Or, are you going to actually go to class?” He chuckled.

“What? Oh…” I brushed the hair back from my face as I laughed sheepishly. I had been distracted all morning. “Did the bell ring?”

“Indeed it did.” His eyes flickered with laughter as he extended an arm to me. “What’s got you so wrapped up in that pretty little head of yours?”

I shook my head. The last thing I needed was everyone worrying about what a dream of mine might bring on this time. “Nothing, I’m fine, I just didn’t get much sleep last night.” Which was an understatement. After waking up at one in the morning, I was simply too riled up to fall back asleep, I’d been awake ever since.

“I can tell.” He started quietly as he brushed his thumbs underneath my eyes. “Here, let me help.”

“What are you doing?” He continued to move his hands over my skin, most of my drowsiness fading with each stroke.

“Well, I’ve been practicing some new healing techniques over the summer.” He winked as he spoke in obvious code as students moved around us.

“Ah,” I chuckled. “I see.” I sometimes forgot that my life and boyfriend was far from ordinary.

He nodded as he stepped away with a smile. “There. How do you feel?”

I waited a few moments before smiling. “Hmm, I actually feel a lot better.” I answered truthfully. “Now, if only you could erase what was in my head…Actually, you probably could.”

He laughed as he started to speak, only to be cut off by a shrill scream. “Riley!”

“Oh my gosh.” The breath was nearly knocked right out of me as someone threw their arms around me.

“Three months! It’s been almost three months since I saw you last!” The high pitched stranger finally pulled away to look me in the eyes with disdain on her face.

“Winter! Oh my gosh, you’re here!” I pulled her back into me as I returned a bone crushing embrace.

“Yes, I’m on rotation today. But the question here is, where have you been?!” She jutted out her bottom lip as she whisked me off, giving me minimal time to say goodbye to Ryder. “You were M.I.A. all summer!”

“I’m sorry, I just needed some time off.”

“What, so we’re a job to you now? Riley I thought we were family?” Of course she wasn’t going to let me off the hook.

“You are, it’s just-”

“You know Ryder practically banned us from contacting you in anyway. He said you were in a fragile state.”

“I am not fragile!” I defended. “I just needed time to get back to a sense of normal, you know?”