5

***A/N***
Hey guys, sorry I've been taking so long to update! The crazy thing is, this was already prewritten! I just have not time to get on anymore because of prep for college! But I will try to begin updating more frequently!
******

Where are you going exactly?" Avery asked as he stepped through my front door.
I strugged into my leather jacket as I answered him. "Home."
"But you're already h-"
"No, home."
"You mean, back home?"
I nodded. "There's someone there that I have to meet." I'd spent all night arranging it.
"When will you be back?"
"I don't know, it depends on how much time passes here, a day, maybe two, shouldn't be more than a week."
"What should I tell the others?" He asked, confusion written all over his face.
I shook my head. "Nothing, I don't you to tell them anything. All they need to know is that I'll be back and you're in charge."
Avery rubbed his neck. "I don't know Ryder-"
"Listen, I need you to trust me, okay? I don't want to force you into silence, but I will if I have to." I didn't like using my position on others, but if I needed to, I would.
He shook his head. "Don't worry, you don't have to, you have my word."
I nodded. "Thanks for doing this."
"Of course." I started to leave. "Oh, and say hi to our friends for me will you?"
"Yeah, sure." I nodded, walking over to Riley as I pressed lips gently against hers, rubbing her soft skin as I did. My heart yearned for her to open her eyes, but I knew she wouldn't. "I love you." I whispered before walking out the front door.
Leaving her behind was hard, but I was going to try and find help. There had to be something that could bring her out of the state she was in.
I drove out of the parking garage and towards the woods. It would take me at least half an hour to get there.
******
Aspen's POV
"This is crazy. I don't know why I agreed to this."
"Because you love me." Avery pressed as we stood down the street from Riley's house. The large brick home looked like an ominous threat daring me to come any closer.
"I'm starting to doubt that." I scowled.
He laughed as he pecked me on the lips. "Alright look, Blythe and Winter are standing by if you need them at all. I have to get back to Ryder's. I'm sure Pip and Soren are getting antsy."
"Where is Ryder anyway?" It was strange of him to not be here at a time like this.
Avery looked away from me as he spoke. "I don't know."
My eyes narrowed as I felt the spike of his heartbeat. "You're lying."
He sighed and gave me a strained smile. "You're right, I am, but you know how cryptic Ryder can be. My orders were to only let you all know that he'd be back soon."
I sighed, figuring I wouldn't press. I could feel his unease with the subject. "Alright," I started as I set my watch to two minutes. I'd been practicing last night at got it up thirty seconds more, but didn't want to chance it. "I'm going in."
He pecked me on the lips before getting in his car and driving off. I started down the sidewalk to the house, taking deep breaths as I calmed my nerves.
Winter had given me the keys to her house, it would have been rather strange if I had to knock on my "own" door. I listened to see if anyone was directly on the other side of the door, I wanted to wait until I was directly inside to cast the glamour, I had no time to waste.
When I was sure the cost was clear, I unlocked the door and went inside. No one seemed to be in the immediate area as I took Riley's home. Everything was high-end and modern, which struck me as odd. Her family looked to be the old-money type.
"Ugh, stop judging Aspen." I mumbled to myself, swallowing my nerves along with it.
I looked in the mirror, taking in my soft, baby blonde waves and bright, blue eyes. Riley and I looked nothing alike. I took a deep breath and waved my hand over my face, watching as the glamour came into place.
It was an imitation glamour, which basically allowed me to copy the image of another. It took a lot of work and energy, which was why most opted not to even learn. I'd been working at mastering it for the past few years, and even still, I could only max at less than three minutes without depleting my energy.
My blonde mane had transformed into Riley's chocolate brown ones, while my whole face morphed into the image of her. It was weird, staring at myself, yet seeing someone completely different. I touched my cheek just to make sure it was real. I had to admit, against my dismay, Riley was gorgeous, even I couldn't deny that.
"Oh honey, there you are." I jumped at the sound of another voice. Her mother stood looking at me funny. "Are you okay? Why are you just standing there?"
"Um," I looked down at my watch, a minute and fifty seconds. "Yeah, I was jus stopping by to get some clothes."
"Oh?"
"Yeah," I nodded as I went over the story in my head. A minute and thirty seconds left. "A class trip to Maine's been approved. We leave tonight."
"Oh, well why didn't you tell us sooner?"
I strugged as I laughed awkwardly. "I don't know, I guess I just forgot, I thought I did. Since I'm already eighteen, I didn't need a permission slip signed. I'm sorry," One minute down. "It's okay if I go right?"
"Of course!" She kissed my cheek, while I tried not to cringe, this woman was a complete stranger. "How long will you be gone?"
"Um..." i cocked my head to the side. "Just until the end of the week I believe." I laughed once more. forty seconds, I was trying to fidget. "I didn't read the full paper." I picked up the bag that had been previously stashed by Winter.
"Well, okay, when do you leave?"
Twenty seconds.
"Um," I bounced on my toes as my heart began to pound. Just then, there was a knock on the door. "Oh! Right now actually!" I laughed again as her mother gave me a strange look.
"Honey, are you sure you're okay?"
Fifteen.
"Oh, yeah, yeah," I waved. "Totally fine. Oh would you look at that!? Winter's here!"
"Hello Mrs. Dunts." WInter smiled pleasantly. She was a life saver.
"Oh hello Winter, where have you been, it's so good to see you again." She smiled. "Are you going too?"
"Yes ma'am I am!"
She raised a brow. "Didn't you graduate last year?"
Crap.
Winter thought on her feet quickly. "Oh yeah, well, my parents are chaperoning, so I thought I'd tag along. But, we really she get going, don't want to miss the bus you know.
Ten.
"Uh, okay, well, have fun okay. Make sure you at least text us." She brought me into a tight hug. "Oh and-"
Five.
"Mom, we really should be going." I kissed her on the cheek as I hurried out the door. She barely had time to say good bye before my watch went off. I made a mad dash for the passenger door to Winter's car, her mother was still looking, and I was going to change back any second now.
Just as the door shut, I was me again, three seconds after two minutes. "Well done sis." Blythe clapped me on the back from the back seat.
I let out a sigh of relief just as Winter climbed in. "That was something."
I gave them both dirty looks. "I am never doing this again."
Blythe laughed as inter put the car in drive. "Never say never twin."
******
"How'd it go?" Avery asked as the three of us walked through Ryder's front door. His apartment was just as I'd remembered it.
I sighed as I plopped down on the couch. "Never again."
He chuckled as he pecked me on the lips. "That bad huh?"
"How is she?" Winter asked.
He nodded towards Ryder's closed bedroom door. "The same. How long are we cleared for?"
"Until Saturday at least." I answered.
Avery noded. "Four days, that should be enough time."
"I sure hope so."
Once the sun went down, the others began to leave. I stayed with Avery until around one or so in the morning. When I could barely keep my eyes open, he kissed me awake gently. I hadn't even realized I'd nodded off.
"Hey, you should go home, get some sleep. Things don't seem to be changing much here." I swallowed as I thought of the two of them here alone. It was naive and selfish to even think about at a time like this, but I couldn't help it. I guess Avery knew because he gave me a gentle smile before kissing me once more. "I promise babe, you have nothing to worry about. Even if I did try to make a move on her, she'd turn me down. Remember, she's unresponsive." He chuckled as my eyes narrowed. "I'm kidding."
"That's not funny." I tisked while slugging him in the arm.
"Seriously though Aspy, go and get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning."
I finally gave in with a yawn, wrapping my arms around his neck as we kissed. He sighed in content while bringing his arms around my waist, deepening the kiss as he did. "See," he whispered ruggedly. "I'm all yours."
I recalled Ryder saying the same thing once, but chose to push the thought aside as I nodded. "Okay, I love you."
"Love you too."
I kept looking back as he closed the door behind me. I had to trust that our connection was strong enough. I had to let go off the past, he and Ryder seemed to have moved on right?
So why couldn't I do the same?