20

Riley's POV

Both my mind and my body was exhausted in every way possible, I could barely muster the strength to stand after everything I'd been through in the past few days. I took a seat on the arm of Ryder's couch, too tired to even take in the looks of utter surprise on their faces.

"Riley what, how? What happened?" Ryder rushed to my side, kissing every inch of my face and barely giving me time to catch my breath. 

I gently shoved him away with an impish smile, I was too tired to even offer affection. "It's a long story. But, I know where to start now. The meadow showed me what I had been missing, plain as day, it had been right in my face the whole time. My dad, my real dad, gave them something on the night of the exchange, it was a locket, I finally saw it after watching it replay in front of me over and over." 

Ryder rubbed my back in soothing circles. "Ok, what matters most is that you made it back before the meadow caved in on itself, whatever revelation stands ahead of us, we'll face it together." The others nodded reassuringly.

My mind was currently a chaotic mess, I spent days battling my own subconscious mind for reasons I didn't fully understand yet. With the guidance of Axelia, I was finally able to make a break through. For whatever reason, every time I watched the memory of that night, my mind blocked out the subject of my parents. 

I had been so focused on my father at first, I was practically unable to see what was right in front of me...my parents. The silent looks they passed, the stand-offish stance they took, it was all clear, but I didn't want to believe it. Like with the necklace, my parents were hiding something...and they knew a lot more about that night then they let on the first night I'd confronted them about it.

******

What else could they be hiding from me? I stole glances at my parents who remained oblivious to the raging storm going on inside my brain at the moment. We were sitting at the table having dinner later that night. The spaghetti on my plate was practically untouched.

"Honey, are you ok?" My dad sat his fork down as he glanced at me from over the rim of his glasses.

I blinked a few times, forcing a smile as I brung my fork to my mouth with a nod. "Yeah, just tired."

"How was your internship interview, did you land it?" He asked in a conversational tone.

I knew this was yet another cover they'd devised for me, I made a mental note to remind them they needed to start including me in on whatever story they were selling. "I think so," I nodded. "I'm not sure when I'll have to return, but...I learned a lot." If only they knew just how much I'd learned.

"Yes, it'll look great on college applications." My mother added.

"You know what else would look great?" I started with a casual smile. "A new necklace." 

My father cocked an amused brow at me, assuming I was getting ready to ask for money to shop.  "Huh, is that so? And what kind of necklace might I add? Diamond like the one I just got you a few months ago?" He gave me a fatherly look with a grin

"Mmm, I've been really into the vintage look lately you know? I was thinking along the lines of like...a new locket perhaps? Like the ones you can put pictures in?" I closely gauged their reactions.

My father gave me a perplexing look. "Hmm, interesting choice." He looked at my mother who nodded in agreement, they seemed unphased. "Well, if that's what you want, I can take you into town this weekend."

"Oh yes, count me in, I think I need a new paid of diamond earrings daddy." Lexi batted her lashes in only a way that she could.

I rolled my eyes, moving back to the conversation at hand before we could move away from it. "No, I don't want a new one exactly. I want something with history and meaning behind it, so it seems genuine you know?" They were both slightly confused.