Chapter Sixteen: Last Goodbyes

My Best Friend's Best Friend

Chapter Sixteen: Last Goodbyes

•.•.• Harry •.•.•

I hated myself for it. So much hate was pulsing through me it was unbearable. It was my fault she was dead, my fault she didn't get to be happy. Just as she finally realized she loved Louis, she couldn't live to be with him. And it was my fault.

She could never be happy again.

Thinking about it, we never really had happy, romantic times together. She always brought up some recollection of Louis. Most of the time I just let it go, not caring what we were talking about, just that we were together. But I realized we never really were together. Maybe we were physically, but mentally, she was always in love with him. And yet another reason to be mad at myself, I didn't even notice.

Now, my best friend lay on the floor unconscious. One of the many bad results of the terrible decision I made. Louis was being fanned back to consciousness.

"Louis? Louis, can you hear me?" The nurse took some scents from her pocket and waved them under his nose. His head rocked side to side a few times before he snapped awake.

"Are you okay?" The nurse asked.

"Yeah, I ju-," he paused and looked at his surroundings. "Wait." He stood up and brushed himself off. "Collins... is dead, isn't she?" Liam nodded solemnly.

"Again, you can go see her one last time. Your friend here," the nurse motioned to me, "took the liberty to phone her mother around an hour ago. She should be here soon." All eyes looked to me, with surprise filling the space in between us. Blood rushed to my face at the sudden attention so I just shrugged and looked away.

The five of us straightened ourselves up and entered Collins' room. The tension in the room was evident. Louis looked at her body and glanced away. Tears were already reforming in his eyes, along with everyone else's. Liam decided to be the brave one and go to her first. He left a light kiss to her forehead. Niall and Zayn followed suit.

I went up next. I stroked her face gently, examining her features one last time. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry," I whispered. A drop of salty water fell from my cheek into her hair. I kissed her softly on the cheek and stood up again.

Louis walked up to the side of the bed, and dropped to his knees. I could hear his sobs. He held her hand tightly. I could faintly hear him saying, "Don't go. Please don't go, I love you. Collins, don't forget me."

Liam quietly moved towards me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Listen, Haz. As much as this seems like your fault, it's not. We all still love you just as much as before. I just hope that you learned from this. Don't blame yourself." He pulled me into a hug just as the door slowly opened.

Linda walked in, looking a state. Her normally hairsprayed-to-perfection hair was now limp and tangled. Her mascara was running down her face as she cried over her lost daughter. She looked up as us and eyes met. She walked over and hugged me, tighter than even my own mother had. I just comforted her, feeling the sleeve of my shirt become damp.

Louis straightened himself up before he joined us again. Linda gave him a long hug as well. The five of us boys bid our last goodbyes to Collins and left Linda to her.

Who knew how much of an impact one girl could make?

•.•.•.•.•.•.•

omg you guys are gonna kill me. I know it took me forever to upload this! writers block guys! but I hope you enjoy it. the epilogue will be posted sometime within the month. I know that's like a terrible timeframe but my volleyball starts tomorrow and my cheer continues and I have piano. busy busy busy. anyway for the epilogue how bout

10 votes

7 comments

CAN YOU DO IT?

x Allie