Chapter Thirteen: Withheld Feelings

My Best Friend's Best Friend

Chapter Thirteen: Withheld Feelings

•.•.• Collins •.•.•

I didn't remember much from the last night. I remember inhaling smoke and feeling like my insides were burning, my nose, throat, mouth. I remember the gentle, firm grip of Harry's arms carrying me. I remember being wheeled through the corridors of the hospital to the Emergency Room.

I don't know what I look like, probably a charred, burnt-up face, torn-up, black arms and legs. I feel terrible. My lungs feel deflated and scarred. My throat is dry and scratchy. I can still taste the smoke in my mouth.

I'm asleep, I guess. I don't know where I am, though. I'm walking through an endless room, white on all sides. Around me, little wisps of what looks like clouds fill up space.

At the far side of the room I saw a door, white as the rest of the surroundings. A figure opened it from the other side and walked through. It had a feminine figure but I couldn't see the person, the light coming from the other side was so bright behind her.

"Hi, Collins."

"Brooke?"

"I haven't seen you in years. I've missed you so much." She looked flawless, angelic. Her features were perfectly etched, her jawline, lips, nose. Her skin was beautiful, no marks or imperfections. She had certainly gotten bigger and better since she had died. Her hair fell down her back in loose wavy blonde curls that looked so good on her. Her hazel eyes sparkled in the light.

"I've missed you, too." I rushed up and hugged her. It was my cousin. My wonderful, incredible cousin. She was only two years older than me but we hardly ever noticed the age difference. Three years ago, when I was 17 and she was 19, she had gone missing. A long search around the town and outskirts had resulted in nothing. Four months later her body was found, a blood-covered knife stuck right under her collarbone with several other stabs in her chest and stomach. The police found evidence that showed that she had been kidnapped from the university she was attending. The kidnapper had gagged her and choked the life out of her before killing her with the dagger. It was really gross and probably one of the worst times of my life.

"Why am I here?" I had pulled away from our hug, but I still didn't understand.

"Well, it's kind of stereotypical, but I'm here to show you all the people's lives you've impacted and what they would do if you died right now." She took me hand and led me through the door.

There were walls lined with doors. The doors were covered in diamonds and colored gems. The walls sported stained glass depictions. And the floor was white. The same bright crisp white as the endless room I'd just exited.

Brooke led me through one of the doors. It was filled with tellies and monitors.

"These represent all the people you've impacted. Each screen stands for a person. The bigger ones are the ones you've had a bigger impact on." She pointed to the first few monitors. On the biggest one was Louis. He was crying over the hospital bed with my limp body in it. She led me to Lou's screen and reached out to it. Once her small finger touched it, the scene grew bigger until we were standing in the room with him.

"Louis! Louis, look at me! I'm right here!" I yelled to him.

"Collins, Collins. He can't hear you. He doesn't know we're here, nor does anyone else. We're invisible, like ghosts." Brooke shushed me so we could hear what he was saying through his tears.

"-I do love you. More than anything. You've helped me in so many ways and I don't know what I would do without you. I'm sorry I missed out on that two years of your life. I'm sorry I didn't keep contact with you. I'm sorry I came back so suddenly. But i was so glad to see you again.Your beautiful smile makes my day. If I couldn't see that again, I don't know what would happen to me. I didn't even get to say goodbye." He kept crying and my body did nothing. I felt hot tears on my cheeks in sudden realization that I was crying as well.

The scene changed as Brooke and I came back out of the screen. It was just white.

"Brooke, what happened to the hospital? Where Louis go?"

"It's showing you what would happen if you died. If you were dead right now, this is showing Louis a year in the future," she explained the situation to me.

"But he's not there. It's blank."

"Exactly. He couldn't cope with your death so he killed himself to be with you. In heaven."

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Author's note.

Sorry it took so long to upload. I've been busier than i thought plus HUGE writer's block. anyway, hope you guys enjoy.

and thank you, thank you, thank you for all the reads. i swear i posted ch12 at exactly 1,000 reads and im at 1.2k+ now. its truly amazing and i cant thank you guys more for the positive comments and the votes. it really makes my day.

vote, comment, fan.

x allie