Chapter Twelve: Hospital Visit

My Best Friend's Best Friend

Chapter Twelve: Hospital Visit

I passed the burned down hotel on my way to the hospital. It was a right mess, with almost the whole building in ruins and all parts visible were charred. I hoped they were far away from the source of the problem.

Pulling into the car park, I quickly shut off the ignition of my car before running inside. I rushed up to the last at the check-in desk.

"Collins Grey. I don't know what room but I have to see her." The words fell out of my mouth, almost incomprehensible.

"Are you a relative?" The lady peeked up lazily from her glasses resting on the end of her long nose.

"No, but I'm a close family friend. Can I please see her?"

"Okay. Room 168, but you have ten minutes before you have to get out of her room. Understand?"

But I wasn't listening anymore. I was already set down the corridor. 146 ... 154 ... 162 ... 168. I entered the room to see Harry in the visitor's chair pulled up next to the bed. He held her hand gently as silent tears trailed down his face. My two best friends: one I had known since I was a baby; the other I had known since about two years ago. It was quite simple to me to choose who to care for in this situation.

"Hi, Harry," I mumbled slowly. His sad face looked up at me apologetically.

"I'm so sorry. It was my idea. Blame everything on me. I was overreacting too fast. I do love her but she's yours, too. I didn't mean for her to get hurt. It's all my fault. I can't believe myself." He talked so fast I could barely understand. Since he always talks abnormally slow, this was even more of a shock to me.

"It's okay, Haz. As long as she's okay. Just promise me not to leave me again." I wasn't aware until that point that my face was covered in new, wet tears, flowing over past dried ones. "I love you, Harry, but I love Collins as well. I'm pretty sure you know that. And before you say anything about you two leaving, save for later, please." He nodded his head solemnly and swiftly got up. On his way past me, he patted me on the shoulder comfortingly.

Collins was asleep throughout our entire conversation. She was so peaceful-looking. As soon as she was awake, I was gonna tell her how I really felt. I didn't care how she would react, I just need her to know.

The nurse knocked on the door and pushed it open.

"Oh, I didn't know anyone was in here. Sorry."

"It's fine. When is she going to be up?"

She looked hesitant and didn't meet my gaze. "Um, the doctors aren't really sure ... that ... she's actually going to ... um ... wake up ..."

"No, she has to wake up," I insisted. "I mean, she's still alive now, what's really change it?" I was just trying to convince myself that she was going to wake up. That I would see those beautiful blue eyes again. That I would see that big, genuine smile that always occupied her her face.

"She had inhaled a lot of smoke during the fire. She was asleep and was unknowing of the toxins in the air. Her lungs are severely damaged and are prone to just collapse inside her. I'm really sorry." The nurse gave me an apologetic look before leaving the room.

I suddenly felt my eye well up with tears and salty drops run down my face, dripping to my shirt and the tile floor. I sat down in the chair previously occupied by Harry. Since there was little to no chance of Collins waking up, I decided to tell her how I feel now, with hope that she could at least hear it