Chapter One: News

My Best Friend's Best Friend 

Chapter One: News

"The plane lands in about two hours. You are going to the airport to pick them up whether you want to or not. That's final."

"But mom," I drug out the mom. "He doesn't want to see me. I haven't talked to him in over half a year. I bet he doesn't even remember my name. Why can't his mum or family or someone pick him up?" I didn't want to pick my former best friend and his new best friend up. Their band's tour just finished, and now they're home for three whole months. Better yet, their flat is less than a block away and my mum was going to make us spend time together. Plus, what about Louis' new best friend? What if he doesn't want to hang out?

Of course, I knew the band and their album and songs, because why wouldn't I want to know how my former friend is doing. I went to a concert once, when they were near. I didn't tell Louis. The boys were fantastic, no wonder they had sold out arenas in America.

"Collins." My mum brought me out of my thoughts. "Go change into something presentable and go to pick up Louis and Harry. Now."

I groaned and dragged my tired body upstairs. It was half seven in the morning and my mother had rather rudely interrupted my sleep. After I ate breakfast, she broke the news to me that Louis was coming home, and that he had bought a flat not far away with his best mate. She said he was off tour for a while and had some time to himself. How wonderful.

I pulled on some white denim shorts and a loose, button up,light blue top that I tied at the bottom. I added a pair of white sandals and grabbed my phone before slipping it, along with my wallet, into my purse. I snatched my purse from the dresser and looked at myself in the mirror. I was "presentable", as my mum put it. I stomped downstairs and grabbed my car keys from the counter.

She saw me before I had closed the door. "Have fun, Collins! Have a good day with the-" I cut her off with the slam of the door. She wanted me to spend the day with them. Great. They're not going to want to stay with me so I guessed I'd just go shopping to pass the time.

I jumped in the driver's side of the car and started the engine. After I backed out of our driveway, I turned the radio on, just in time to hear the ending notes of a familiar song.

"Makes you beau-ti-ful!"

I switched the station as the host started to talk. I heard another known tune, that I could truthfully say, was one of my favourites.

"-in snowflakes. Burnt lungs, sour taste."

I sang at the top of my lungs, since no one was in the car with me. I got some weird looks at stop lights from the cars around me. Probably because my music was loud and my voice was louder. Whatever, people can judge.

Four songs later, I arrived at the London Heathrow Airport. I didn't live very far away because after Louis went to the show, we moved closer to London. I loved the city, and apparently he did too since he was going to live so close. I walked into the waiting area since I wasn't allowed to the terminals. The flight landed at half nine and it was only 8:45. Thanks for rushing me, Mum.

I decided on getting some Starbucks since I had nothing better to do. I got in the queue and waited to order. A cute guy who looked about my age, glanced up at me, down at the register, and then back to me.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" His cockney accent was think.

"Just a small caramel frappe please. Extra caramel." My usual order, I said to myself. The boy made the coffee and handed it to me.

"I get off in fifteen minutes. Wanna stay and chat?" he said quietly to me. I contemplated. He was cute but I just wasn't in the mood for talking to anyone. Plus I had limited time until the flight landed.

"No, I'm sorry. I have to pick up my friend's from their plane. I would love to, but I have to go." I forced a smile on my face as his smile faltered.

"That's okay. See you 'round." He ended our short conversation and turned to the next paying customer. Okay then. I guess that was that.

I returned to my waiting spot and sat down in the uncomfortable chair. I sipped my frappe and silently looked at all the people passing me. There were many different types of people, as well as the accents they carried with them.

There was a man that passed me, in his early thirties, late twenties. He was sandy blonde. He sported a dark beige suit, black tie, and white oxford shirt and carried a briefcase in one hand. He was rushing out the doors of the building, seemingly late for a meeting.

A little bit later, there was a woman that passed. Twenty-five, I reckon. She had long dark red hair and a few light freckles scattered her flushed face. She held the hand of a man about her age who I assumed to be her boyfriend. They shuffled quickly along and through the gates to Security.

I checked the time on my phone. They two should be coming out of the terminal doors any minute now, and I would see my ex-friend, whom I haven't seen in over a year. And his new best friend.

I have to keep reminding myself that they're famous. Everyone around the world knows their names and somehow knows where they are almost every second of the day. It was impressive. But I wasn't used to having Lou get the attention. It had always been me and we both seemed to be fine with that. I loved attention. And he was fine with letting me have it. During class I would be the one next to him and everyone carrying on a conversation with me. I reckoned he always felt left out and now I regret not having him get any spotlight. Even though he gets plenty of that in his band.

I checked the time again and saw that it was almost a quarter of an hour after they were supposed to land. According to the big screen on the wall, the flight wasn't delayed and it was "On Time", which means they have landed. Then what's holding them up?

As soon as that though crossed my mind, I heard some screaming. It wasn't just one girl, it was hundreds of girls. I saw two boys running for their lives in front of a large mob of girls. They bolted through the door and I immediately recognized them.

"Come on, boys. Looks like you could use a ride." I smiled at their bewildered faces. "Welcome home."

•••••••••••••••

Author's Note. 

I just wrote this and I'm incredibly tired, so I'm not sure if it's great. Anyway, I'm trying my best to make my chapters longer and I don't know how kind this is. so nanite my lovely readers (that don't exist), have a lovely day/night and to all the people with school, have fun!

Allie x