chapter six

travis

"i'll go. if you won't leave me alone," he kind of hated to say it. he didn't want to sound weak, like he couldn't stand to be by himself, but it was totally true. he didn't want to be alone at a party with people that he barely knew, but he knew it would make cooper happy, so he agreed.

the blonde boy looked relieved yet determined, "i won't, trav." right as he said that, travis' phone began to ring.

"yeah, mama?"

"alright."

"give me 15."

"love you too," travis gave cooper a sad look. "mom wants me home, so i gotta go, thank you for inviting me," he smiled sadly.

"alright trav, want me to walk you home?" he looked at travis, sadness lurking in the boy's eyes. travis didn't know why he'd grown so attached to the boy, he only met him this morning. but it seemed that the two were already inseparable.

travis sighed, "no thank you," he got up and grabbed his bag, slipping his shoes on as he walked out of cooper's bedroom. he walked downstairs to find cooper's mom on the couch with a glass of what seemed to be vodka in her hand. "thank you for inviting me," he smiled at the woman.

the woman stood up and stumbled over to travis, leaning on him for support.

she traced his jawline with her fingertip, causing a small chill to run down the boy's spine, "no problem baby. come over any time," her breath smelled of cheap alcohol. she was totally drunk out of her mind. she winked at travis before walking back over to her spot on the couch, acting like nothing had happened. travis gave the woman a confused look before turning and walking out the door.

his walk home was peaceful. it was a warm summer's evening in california. he listened to the birds sing and looked at the palm trees swaying ever so slightly in the breeze. he already knew how to get home because he'd passed cooper's house on his way back from grocery shopping before. his house wasn't awful, it was a nice little townhouse, but compared to cooper's it was trashy. travis reached his front step, pulling his keys out of his pocket to unlock the door. he tried to see if it was unlocked first, but it wasn't. he slid his key into the keyhole and turned it the way it needed to unlock. he pushed open the door, the smell of cinnamon hitting him hard. he shut the door behind him, set his bag down, and took off his shoes.

"mama i'm home!" he called out to the kitchen where his mom usually was. he walked out into the dining area where his mom sat in a chair, reading a book.

his mom smiled at him and stood up, walking over to him, "you must've had a lot of fun, you were gone for hours!" she pulled him into a tight hug.

the boy pulled away and gave a light chuckle, "i had detention as well," his voice dropped to a whisper, "don't tell anyone i left half way through."

his mom gasped playfully, "was cooper there too?"

"yeah. he's the one who told me the teacher leaves after 30 minutes."

"you must really like that boy! you just met him today," she smiled and walked into the kitchen. she grabbed some french toast and put it on a plate, sprinkling powdered sugar and cinnamon on top. travis sat down at the table and his mom slid a plate in front of him, and sat down across from him with another plate, "tell me about him, i can tell you really like him."

"well he's got wavy blonde hair, he's got golden brown eyes, and he's like 5'11" maybe?" he sighed happily, picturing the boy in his head as he ate and spoke.

his mom put his fork down and picked up a glass of water, "he sounds like the perfect surfer boy," she took a sip and put the glass down.

"skater," travis corrected.

his mom raised her eyebrows in surprise, "wow, trav, going for the skater i see," she giggled at her own little joke.

travis roller his eyes playfully, "he plays football as well, and his other friends call him the 'fish man' but i don't know why," he shrugged. "also mama, he and i got invited to a party this friday, is it okay if i go?"

his mom nodded, "what time'll you be home?"

"i didn't think of that. if it's too late maybe i can crash at cooper's?"

his mom nodded in approval, "that's fine," she set her fork on her plate as she finished her french toast.

travis set his fork down as well, "i think i might have a crush on him, mama, he's so sweet and perfect..." he trailed off, smiling at the thought of the blonde-haired boy.

his mom gave a large smile, "that's great honey, is he bi?"

"i'm not sure."

"oh, that's okay. you should ask, it might help you a lot."

"yeah or it might crush me."

"if i were you, i'd ask him, but the choice is yours," she got up and took both of their plates, placing them gently into the sink and running the water to clean them off.

cooper

friday was coming rather quickly. nothing new or exciting happened, but he spent most of his time at home with travis. he had football but travis was there at every practice cheering the team on. ted joked that travis should be a cheerleader. 'he had great spirit' according to ted.

on thursday night, travis came over to cooper's house, like usual. "hey trav, you wanna go skate for a bit?"

travis' eyes lit up, "yeah!"

cooper grinned and grabbed his board, leading travis out the door and down the stairs. he and travis walked out the front door and cooper put his board on the ground, motioning for travis to step on. he obliged and got on, pushing with one foot. he went slowly as to not fall, and cooper kept pace with him, conversing with travis on the way to the skatepark.

the boys skated for a while before travis got a call from his mom that he was needed home. he said bye to cooper and headed on his way.

cooper's skate home was a nice one. he observed the way the trees swayed with the wind. he felt like he was floating. being with travis made his heart happy. he made his was home and did what he needed to do, heading to bed after because it was starting to get late.

the party tomorrow is gonna be fuckin fun

wow. thank you all so much for 300 reads. i didn't think this story would get anywhere near even 100. it means a lot to me:) leave a comment if you'd like and remember to vote if you liked the chapter! mwah, don't forget to say good morning to sam
1100+ words