Chapter 2

A'leah

After drizzling honey on the last batch of beignets, I made my way around the bakery dishing them out to customers.

I don't see how Miss.Ruby does all of this baking every morning. She must have alot of time on her hands.

"Auntie Leah!" Three familiar voices yelled.

I looked over my shoulder to see Chandra and the girls awaiting to be served at one of my tables.

"Well if it isn't my beautiful princesses." I smiled.

"Which princess am I auntie!?" Kay-Kay asked.

"Hmm..Your princess Tiana."

"But I wanna be princess Tiana." Chay whined.

"I liked her first!" Noonie protested.

"You can all be princess Tiana."

They all giggled.

"Yaay!"

"Hey Leah." Cha smiled.

"Hey boo." I said softly.

I sat beside her and gave her a hug. She ran her manicured nails through her freshly installed cherry red colored sew-in and smiled.

"Girl where have you been. We haven't see you guys in a while." She pouted.

"I know. August and I have been working."

"The girls and I stopped by your place but a creepy baldheaded guy said yall weren't living there no mo'."I sighed and nodded.

"We got evicted last night Cha." I mumbled. Her eyes widened.

"Girls take this money and go buy those cupcakes you wanted while I talk to your auntie." They took the money from Cha and ran off to the front of the bakery.

"A'leah what is going on with you and August?" She asked seriously.

"No matter h-how hard we try, we end up back to square one. We got evicted last night, we have no food. My boss allowed us to stay with her f-"

"Say no more. You and August are coming to stay with me and the girls."

"But Cha we couldn't int-"

"I don't wanna hear it Leah. You guys are moving in and that's final."

My eyes started to get watery as I nodded. She pulled me into a tight hug, rubbing my back gently. Miss.Ruby approached us and sat a set of keys on the table.

"Go head and get your stuff babygirl. You keep this set of keys ya hear? I'll see ya when you get back."

I quickly wiped my eyes and leaned across the table, hugging her tightly.

"Thank you so much Miss.Ruby."

"Girls let's go!" Cha demanded.

They held hands and ran over to us taking both of my hands, walking me to the car.

Cha followed right behind us, unlocking the doors. I made sure the girls were buckled in before getting in the passenger's seat.

I plugged Miss.Ruby's address in Cha's GPS as she sped off down the road.

_______

We arrived at Miss.Ruby's place in twenty minutes or less due to heavy lunchtime traffic.

I unlocked the front door and walked inside to see August sitting on the loveseat. Miniature Hennessy bottles and unfinished blunts surrounded him. He smiled when he saw me.