Chapter 8: Lost at sea

S/N's perspective 

It was the day after I had met up with the Sakura empire. The thoughts of last night still lingered in my head, but I pushed them aside when I got the call. Shikikan wanted me in his office. Apparently, one of the convoys was attacked. Rushing out of my quarters, I burst into the Commander's office.

S/N: "Commander."

Shikikan: "S/N."

He said briefly before looking back at his monitor.

S/N: "You wanted to see me?"

He nodded and gestured for me to look at the screen. I began moving over as he spoke.

Shikikan: "Yesterday, we received a distress call from the convoy, only for it to go silent a few minutes after it began."

S/N: "And I'm guessing it wasn't a false alarm."

Shikikan: "Yes, I've been looking over the data, and it seems they were a hundred nautical miles due west from the base. Around there is mainly the ocean with a few small islands dotting near the main shipping lane."

S/N: "So a Siren attack? Why call me?"

Shikikan: "Because we received something else, it was only a few seconds, but there was a live feed from one of the ships."

He moved his mouse around and pulled up the video as I looked over his shoulder. The footage was fuzzy at best, but we could both clearly see something that frightened us. A purple craft flew in before a green ball of plasma cut the footage.

Shikikan: "You know what it is, don't you?"

S/N: "That........ was a banshee. A fighter used by the Covenant."

Shikikan: "So that Covenant ship survived, or they found their way here."

S/N: "I don't know, I would have detected any new slipspace signatures, but I blew a hole through that Corvette's chest."

Shikikan rubbed his chin before letting out a sigh.

Shikikan: "There's a possibility that our enemies have joined forces. I won't put it past them to revive a useful tool."

I looked at him with concern as he closed the video.

S/N: "What's the plan, commander?"

Shikikan: "Well, at the moment, we have nothing to go off of besides this footage. I want you to go to the covey's last known location. You're the only one with experience against this foe."

S/N: "Alright, send me the coordinates........... but one question, sir."

Shikikan: "Of course."

S/N: "Drift will have to stay somewhere. He can't be on board when I transform my rigging."

Shikikan: "He can stay with me while we conduct this operation."

I nodded and turned to leave before Shikikan spoke up as I was about out the door.

Shikikan: "S/N?"

S/N: "Yes?"

Shikikan: "Can you beat that ship?"

I pause a few moments before looking him dead in the eyes.

S/N: "I don't think I have another option."

With that, I left his office and headed to the docks. I straightened my cap as I walked past several of the girls. I ran into Belfast along the way.

Belfast: "S/N, what's going on?"

S/N: "Convoy was attacked. Shikikan is sending me out to get intel. Bel, that bastard survived."