Chapter 19

I DO NOT OWN CHARACTERS OR TWILIGHT

The adrenaline high wore off five minutes later, and left Bella shaky and worried instead of enraged and powerful.

Yet surprisingly, she did not see Alice for the rest of the day. It was disconcerting, really. She half expected to see Alice the moment she stepped foot outside the bathroom, just because of the girl's incredible knack to show up out of the blue when Bella was in trouble.

Not that she was actually in trouble. Cassie was down and out, and no threat, as she'd come to find out.

Still. The principle of the matter remained. Whenever Bella experienced anything even remotely violent in nature, Alice was bound to appear at her side. This time she didn't, and at the very least Bella expected to see her girl at some point during the day and talk to her about all of it, but...

Nope.

Alice was not in any of the remaining classes they had together, and after questioning Edward, he told her the pixie had gone home. Bewildered and slightly wounded, she asked why and if Alice knew about her altercation with Cassie. Of course Edward knew already after picking it up from her prominent thoughts, and he wholeheartedly disapproved and tried to tell her that so repeatedly that she almost hit him too, but eventually he told her that he didn't know.

Apparently after he told Alice about her altercation with Leah, both Emmett and Rosalie had to drag her off campus to keep her from seeking the Quileute girl out to pulverize her.

That soothed most of Bella's worries, but she still wished Alice were there instead. She desperately wanted to talk about what Leah had told her, and figure out if the girl really genuinely knew that they were vampires, and ask what the hell was up with the La Push girl's eyes.

Leah had called them all werewolves...Or shape shifters. Something like that. Bella had thought they'd been joking, but now she wasn't so sure. Naturally she tried to tell herself that werewolves couldn't possibly exist, but then she remembered she'd thought the same thing about vampires, so she refused to rule anything out, especially because it seemed to fit so well.

Jake, Embry, and Quil had all seemed pretty pissed with her for bringing it up, and her eyes kept flashing that bright yellow, and when she got mad she really got mad, as if any second she might explode. '

Possibly into a wolf.

Badgering Edward about it got her nothing but his brooding look, which annoyed her to no end. She got the same result from Emmett, and knew better than to bother with Rosalie. Eventually she gave up and worried more about whether or not she was going to be busted for busting Cassie.

She spent the rest of the day bouncing her knee and cradling her bruised hand, waiting for the inevitable moment for the principal or someone to yank her out of class and give her the obligatory suspension for fighting, but it never happened, which boggled her mind.

Cassie must be keeping it on the down low, for whatever reason. Probably so she could plot her revenge...And it must be so embarrassing for her to tell anyone that the lesbo freak she was always picking on had bloodied her lip and made her cry like a little girl.

Damn, as bad as a tiny part of Bella felt about it, she had to admit.

Putting Cassie on her ass was so satisfying.

So all she could really do was wonder how Cassie was going to deal with her busted lip, if she was going to get in trouble, werewolves, vampires, and always, always Alice.

When the bell rang, Bella was the first one out the door, and she was already hitting the speed dial for Alice's number when she trotted out of the school, eager to hear her voice. It was still ringing when she walked into the parking lot and saw Alice reclined against her car, waiting for her.