Chapter 4

I DO NOT OWN CHARACTERS OR TWILIGHT.

Bella cried out. She cried out louder than anything she ever had before, with pure terror. Her hands tightened into white knuckled fists in Alice's hair as pain lanced the spot Alice had latched onto just under her jaw. She tensed every muscle in her body and mewed as the vampire dug her teeth in with a low growl and the brunette shook violently, tears watering her eyes as she grimaced.

"Alice, no!" she pleaded desperately.

But then, through the haze of pain and fear and pheromones, Bella gave a soft gasp as Alice whimpered into her neck, a quiet sound of confusion and desperation.

Though the pain was pretty harsh, it didn't actually, really...Hurt that badly?

Huh?

It didn't even feel like Alice's fangs had punctured her skin. And weren't vampire bites supposed to reduce you to writhing agony within seconds?

This felt more like, well...A human bite.

It didn't do much, but it did a little to pierce Bella's fear and she breathed raggedly, haphazardly tugging on fistfuls of Alice's hair to make her stop.

Bella blinked rapidly when Alice suddenly pulled back and her feet hit the floor with a dull thud.

The pixie like girl stared at her neck, one hand coming up as she swiped her thumb over the angry wound she'd left, making Bella grimace. She stared as if bewildered as much as Bella as to why the brunette wasn't pouring blood like her own personal gory water fountain; she was a confused, hungry, angry looking vampire.

Uh. What? Bella's brain struggled to compute at this peculiar turn of events even as her heart hammered and her body screamed for her to run. She didn't get much time to comprehend anything in the small window of Alice's inaction.

She flinched when the vampire let another low noise in the back of her throat, but she winced and yelped when Alice growled, leaned in, and once more bit the hell out of her, this time right at the side of the column of her throat.

Yet again, it hurt like a mother, but it didn't feel like Alice even pierced the skin. It felt like she didn't even have fangs.

"Ow, OW! Stop it! Alice!" Bella shrieked, braced her hands on Alice's shoulder, and shoved with all her might as if it would do any good.

And somehow, it did do some good.

Alice staggered back, just barely managing to keep her balance after Bella's forceful push. Bella's eyes flew wide as her right hand came up to her assaulted neck and clamped down on her newest bite, which throbbed as painfully as the other. Her chest heaved violently as Alice locked her legs to keep upright.

There was no venom pumping through her veins, reducing her to bone crippling agony and she wasn't screaming her head off as she leaked blood all over the floor, none of what the Cullens had told her a vampire bite should entail. And she had literally just about knocked a vampire on her butt, a vampire whom she had playfully pushed, smacked, and wrestled with before and whom she had never even managed to budge before now.

What the hell, she thought frantically. What the hell is going on!

Alice finally caught her equilibrium, of which she still seemed uncharacteristically lacking. She stood and Bella tried not to cringe or show fear when their eyes locked, even if fear was the only thing she could grasp at the moment. You were never supposed to look an animal in the eyes. It showed your fear and challenged them all at the same time.

But it was all washed away in a moment of pure, unadulterated shock that outweighed everything else that had happened tonight.

"Alice?" she gasped.