Chapter 14

I DO NOT OWN CHARACTERS OR TWILIGHT

As it turned out, Alice avoiding her after they experienced something awkward or exceedingly important together that might have overwhelmingly negative implications seemed to be more than just an occasional thing. After Bella bit her, it was understandable that she avoided the human for a while. It was even understandable for her to avoid Bella after they argued over Leah, even if it was slightly unfair and uncalled for.

But after kissing Bella after explicitly telling her that there could be nothing between them, that nothing could, should, or would ever happen between them despite whatever they felt for each other?

That was not understandable.

Once Bella recovered from her dumbstruck state (which took a considerable amount of time) the first thing she did was sprint from the locker room in search of her friend. She was so pumped up on adrenaline from Victoria and the amazing, out-of-the-blue kiss with Alice that she did not even know what she would say, only that she desperately needed to find Alice and confront her.

She can't just run away after that. She can't. It's not right. She just kissed me! We have to talk! What was she thinking? She said just friends. That's what she said, so why would she do that? Damn it, where the hell is she?

It was all for naught, however, because Bella did not see her in the gym and after inquiring about her with Angela and Jessica and making up some bullshit excuse as to why she had taken so long in the locker room -more stomach issues, to which Angela suggested she see a doctor for- she found out that Alice had requested to go see the nurse, claiming she had a migraine.

And she never came back.

Bella called her three times when she got home and texted her four times, each one more desperate than the last.

Pick up your phone!

Alice, seriously, please pick up your phone.

Alice, please. This isn't fair. We need to talk about this.

Bella hesitated on the last one, but her frustration had begun to take hold when she got absolutely nothing for her frantic efforts. She sent it while pacing back and forth in her room.

Just pick up your damn phone Alice! Stop avoiding me! You can't kiss me like that and just run away! Please, I'm not mad, just answer the phone, or come talk to me, I don't care. Please, Alice.

Nothing.

She got nothing at all.

And when she finally went to bed after waiting for hours for an answer, there was still nothing. And when Saturday morning came, it was more of the same. She called two more times but even as she listened to the dial tone, she knew it was useless. She could feel it in her gut that Alice wasn't going to pick up, that that kiss had crossed a line, even though Bella wasn't exactly sure what that line was or what it meant.

All she knew was that as more time passed by and she still got no response from Alice, the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach grew, and grew, and grew, and as it did, so did her rising sense of anger towards Alice.

Everything was made all the worse by how incredible that kiss had been.

It had been unreal. It still felt surreal to think about it, like a sensation that blissful was not allowed to exist in reality.

We kissed. Alice kissed me. She leaned in and kissed me, and it was the best kiss, the best feeling I've ever had in my life. I've never felt anything like that before. I didn't even know feelings like that could exist. She was so beautiful and soft and she smelled so good, and she's my best friend but it was just a stupid kiss and I don't know why it means so much but it did, and now she won't even talk to me. She won't fucking talk to me after she kissed me, after telling me that we could never be anything but friends...