03

Ricky stood by the stairs thinking of what to say to Kayla once she picked up the phone

Ricky stood by the stairs thinking of what to say to Kayla once she picked up the phone. I mean he had already left a voicemail for Nini and now he was calling his best friend. Old best friend. The phone started ringing and he expected her to answer but realized maybe she was at football practice. The call went straight to voicemail. "Yo, it's Kayla. I'm probably busy but leave a voicemail and I'll try to call back as soon as possible."  He smiled hearing her giggle after she said her name. "It's me. Your.... Buddy, Ricky? Sorry to bother you and I know we never did voice convos. But I really miss you and I really do want to apologize. I know I screwed up bad and you know that you weren't a replacement or anything like that. I talked to Big Red and he told me to take a leap of fate. When I never do stuff like that? What was I thinking?"

The curly haired boy moved around seeing someone making their way down the stairs. "Anyways, why am I still talking? If it's too soon uh just let me know. Can we just ignore what happened between us during the summer? Pretend nothing ever happened, okay? Just us being back to best friend's like it always was.  Bye" He took a deep breath ending the call. "Nailed it." He said to himself walking down the stairs.

Kayla had just finished her afternoon jog walking in the house. She hopped on the counter drinking her water bottle while grabbing her phone that laid next to her. She noticed a voice message from Ricky. Unlocking her phone she played the voice message. "It's me. Your.. Buddy, Ricky? Sorry to bother you and I know we never did voice convos." Jumping off she grabbed a granola bar jumping back onto the counter. "But I really miss you and I want to apologize." Rolling her eyes she took a bite of the bar. She continued to listen to see what exactly he wanted. "I know I screwed up bad and you know that you weren't a replacement or anything like that." Nodding her head she stared at the ground slowly eating her bar. "I talked to Big Red and he told me to take a leap of fate. When I never do stuff like that? What was I thinking?" The blonde chuckled knowing Big Red had something to do with this.

"Anyways, why am I still talking? If it's too soon uh just let me know. Can we just ignore what happened between us during the summer? Pretend nothing ever happened, okay? Just us being back to best friend's like it always was. Bye." She froze realizing all he wanted was for them to be best friends again. Was she just supposed to throw away her feelings towards him? Act like nothing ever happened? She couldn't do that! Not when she was truly in love with him. Deleting the voice message she made her way to her room. Throwing her phone on her bed she grabbed her guitar heading towards her tree house. She truly missed her sisters and mom. Her older sister Monica was in LA filming movies while her other sister was busy in New York hanging out with her boyfriend's family.

And her mom was probably watching her with a smile on her face. She spent her time just singing her soul out. A few minutes later her phone started ringing and she wondered who it was. It was EJ and she was surprised he never really called her. More like he would text her when he needed something. Answering the call she placed it next to her and turned the speaker on. "Kay? Are you busy right now?" Kayla swung her legs while sitting in her tree house. She was sitting on her small balcony that the tree house has. "I was just playing around with my guitar but what's up?" Biting down on her pencil she looks down at the ground. "Look I know you hate talking about Ricky but I just need to tell someone and Ashlyn is kind of mad at me right now.."