Chapter 6

Taimur

     Taimur looked into cool blue pools of Eva, which always held a promise to drown him in them. Eva hadn't changed from what he remembered. She got even more beautiful with the years. Her golden curls were shorter than before, reaching just her shoulders and trimmed into layers.

    Eva was wearing a white blouse and a grey pencil skirt which ended just below her knees. Her face was devoid of makeup. Only pink lip gloss covered her lips. She looked as fresh and lovely as Taimur remembered.

    He didn't realize how much time had passed until Riyadh, who was standing behind him, cleared his throat, and Taimur snapped out of his trance.

    "Good morning,  Mrs. Rodriguez. I hope you are having a good day," He smiled and said.

     Taimur never found smiling might prove to be such a difficult task before today. Coming across Eva after so many years gave him a shock.

    "Good Morning, your highness. Yes, I am," she replied to him with a smile.

    Taimur was amazed at how wonderfully she composed herself without giving anyone a hint that they knew each other.

    The Director escorted Taimur inside the hall. The auditorium was packed with students. He guided Taimur to the stage directly. After the welcome speech and annual report of the school, they settled on the couches in the front row.

    The cultural program lasted for about an hour. Taimur couldn't focus on anything going on and kept scanning the hall to get a glimpse of Eva. It proved difficult to find her because of the dim lighting. Taimur looked for Riyadh, but he sat far from Taimur with one of the staff members. Taimur wanted to ask him if he got the chance to speak to Eva.

    Riyadh stayed outside the auditorium after they got introduced to the teaching staff.  He was sure Riyadh would have spoken to Eva. There was no other reason for him to stay behind when Taimur was here.  He had seen Riyadh enter the auditorium after nearly after fifteen minutes, but he was alone. There was no sign of Eva with him.

    Taimur kept looking around for Eva repeatedly but without success. Was she hiding from him? The Director had called her Mrs. Rodriguez, which meant she got married and moved on. It was not that he was angry at her for getting married. She had every right to move on in her life.

     It was just that he had not wanted to meet her again in his life. Seeing her today was utterly unpredictable. The regret of letting her go was catching upon him. There couldn't have been worse timing than this for him to meet Eva. When his life was in turmoil, Alia was still depressed regarding the news that she couldn't conceive again. Sikander was planning something evil behind his back, and Taimur was tired of Sikander and his schemes.

      Taimur loved Alia and was loyal to her, yet he felt an undefined emotion in his heart for Eva. He was unsure how he gave the speech and answered the question of the students and the staff.  When he lost all hope of seeing her again, Eva walked onto the stage to deliver the vote of thanks.

      Taimur felt like the time had stopped, and everything vanished around them. They both were the only ones left in the hall, with their gazes locked with each other.  Taimur couldn't focus on what she was saying. All he did was savor her. The woman was still capable of stopping his breath.

    The Director and the Principal gave him a tour of the school premises. The Director updated him about where and how the funds got utilized to improve school and provide the best education to the students.

     Usually, Taimur would listen intently and ask questions, but now, he could only think about Eva. After about three hours, he finally completed all his duties as a guest and took his leave.