Chapter 31

"Yes, Father," said Arthur, and bowed.

Merlin was laying on his little bed pretending to be fast asleep when they came for him. He could hear the door to Gaius's chambers creak open, and the sound of multiple pairs of feet walking in. "Sir Leon," Gaius wearied voice said, hush voice carrying in from the main room through the slightly ajar door, "I wish I could say I was happy to see you."

"I'm sorry," said Leon, "I need to take Merlin with  me now."

"I know," said Gaius, sounding sad and tired and very, very old, "May I at least know where you're taking him?"

"West tower," said Leon, "At the top."

"Not the dungeons, then."

"Thankfully not."

Gaius let out a large sigh of relief he didn't know he was holding. Merlin pulled the woollen blanket up over his head, and hoped that they'd go far away. "Thank goodness," said the physician, "I had feared that the worst would happen– but never mind. I suppose that it doesn't matter now."

"I am sorry," Leon repeated in a sympathetic voice, "But we have to move him, by order of king Uther."

"Let me go and wake him," said Gaius, "And if I could perhaps have a few quick moments with him...?"

"Take whatever time you need," said Leon, "We'll wait here."

Merlin pushed himself up, setting his chin on his knees. Gaius's footsteps creaked up the stairs, and he walked into the sideroom, shutting the door behind him. Merlin looked up at him. Neither said anything for several long, silent seconds. "I have to leave here," Merlin said, breaking the quiet, "Don't I?"

"Yes my boy"

"Am I," said Merlin, and swallowing thickly scared to finish his sentence, " Am I under arrest?"

"No," said Gaius, dropping his voice quieter, "Uther knows nothing of your magic. You're being moved for your own protection as well. That's why Arthur went to Uther, I think. We can't keep you safe, not all by ourselves."

Merlin nodded slightly, ignoring the small scratch on his neck. He refused to think about the night before, refused to, or the panic would set in, and – he stopped himself, taking a deep breath. "Gaius," he said, "What If Morgana and Morgause make me –"

"Shush, Merlin," said Gaius, "They won't."

"But if they do," Merlin pressed, "You have to stop me. The others – I don't know if they will. You'll have to –"

"Merlin, stop," said Gaius, "None of that. I – no. We need to gather your things. I've some books I'm sending with you to occupy your time. I'll send more up if you need them. I don't know if my knees will be able to make it up all those steps, so –"

"So I won't be seeing you," said Merlin.

"Not until this is over," said Gaius, "No, most likely not."

"Gaius," Merlin said, forcing his eyes shut and turning his head away, "I'm scared. I'm really scared I don't want to go."

Gaius squeezed his shoulder. "I know, my boy," he said, "But you must have faith that everything will work out and everything will go back to normal and Arthur will be the princess making you muck out the horses."

Merlin smiles missing those days where everything was simple. They sat there for a little while, and then Merlin was pulled on to his feet and handed his bag filled with clothes, two books, and a small carving of a dragon. They walked out where Leon was waiting with four other guards. The knight smiled thinly at him while the guards just shifted a bit nervously.