Chapter Fourteen

Arthur let himself be clapped in chains and led away. He wanted to laugh when he realized that Leon was one of the men that his father had selected to take him there. When Arthur and the other knights had ridden out to find Merlin, Leon had been chosen to stay behind to keep the king from noticing Arthur's absence for as long as possible. "Leon?"

"Did you find him, Sire Did you find Merlin?" the knight asked, glaring daggers at the other man walking with them. The guard became very preoccupied with staring at the tops of his boots and being obvious over not listening.

"Yes we did."

"And, how is he?"

"It isn't good."

"But he will live?" said Leon, and Arthur nodded once, shortly, in confirmation. Leon let out a small breath of air, but it was enough to let Arthur know that he, too, had worried so much over Merlin. Arthur had to suppress a more than a little manic laugh at the thought - everyone worried over Merlin, it seemed. Everyone appart from his father.

"He lives," said Arthur, "If only just. The others are bringing him here, and Percival's helping Gaius. But, Leon -"

The door to the dungeons swung open, and Arthur was pushed inside of a cell. As Leon locked the door, he nodded and said, "We'll look out for him, Sire."

"And -"

"I'll keep you up to date on his condition," said the knight, smiling a small grin.

Arthur ran his fingers through his already well-tousled hair, and said, "Thank you, Leon. For everything."

Leon bowed slightly, and said, "Sire," before walking out. The heavy door clanged shut behind him. Arthur felt all of his energy drain out of him in a rush. Deflating in on himself, he sank down onto the hard, wooden bench in the cell. He looked around at the dank stones, the musty hay, and did his damnedest not to think about Merlin struggling to breathe that night. He failed. All Arthur could think about was Merlin, cowering in the wreckage of the castle. Merlin, not recognizing who Arthur was. Merlin, starved and whimpering with pain and confusion and fear, covered with injuries. Merlin, shaking enough to fly apart, damaged and broken.

Arthur buried his face in his hands.

He would not cry.

Gaius didn't notice Percival open the door and walk in until Guinevere gasped, and fumbled with the vial she was holding, almost dropping it. Gaius turned, and found himself quite unable to talk.

"We found Merlin," said Percival, and it was like all of the air was sucked from the room. "I rode ahead with Arthur so he could get talking to the king over with. They'll be here soon."

"And?" Gaius prompted.

"And," said Percival, "I'm here to help you prepare. He isn't in the best of conditions."

"But he's alive?" Gwen whispered.

"Yes," said the knight, "Though I don't know how."

There wasn't all that much to prepare, not really. Gaius's workroom had stood at the ready since Arthur and the knights had ridden out. Supplies on the table, bed ready for an occupant. As a result, there was very little for Gaius to have Percival and Gwen to do. Finally, just to get them to stop hovering, he sent Gwen running for a bucket of water (not that he particularly needed it), and Percival to wait down in the courtyard. Percival had been gone for only a minute when he was walking back in, holding the door open.

And then Gwaine came walking in, cradling Merlin in his arms. "Where do you want him?" Gwaine asked, stopping just within the door.