Chapter 28

The following afternoon welcomed Lord Riley, the younger Miss Riley, and her espoused to Blackstone with grey skies and solemnity. Miranda Riley and Sicily Dunsworth, though they knew each other little, fell on each other and shed bitter tears before rushing upstairs with Lord Riley to be with their beloved ailing Izzy.

Miranda and their father spent most of the next day and a half with one on either side of Izzy's bed, holding her hands tightly in their own. Hope grew as over the course of this day and a half Isabel's breath grew clearer and cheeks increased in their color; until finally, her fever broke, eyes opened, and she spoke - a little weak and raspy but spoke nonetheless.

"Em, you are here."

"Yes!" Em cried tears of joy, kissing her sister's face. "And Papa, and Matthew!"

Tears also flowed from Lord Riley's eyes as he kissed his daughter's hands and cheeks. "Praise the Lord, my Izzy, we thought we might lose you!"

"Oh." Sighed Izzy, with a weary smile. "I am so glad you are here."

They spoke quietly together for some time, updating Isabel on the general goings-on at Tenby and coaxing tidbits of conversation from her; until she finally asked. "Where is Matthew?"

Matthew was immediately called, and Miranda asked her father if she and Matthew could speak to Isabel in private for a brief moment. He obliged.

"Izzy, this may not be the best time...but I know you would be angry at me for holding off on you.." Miranda began, taking Matthew Westbrooke's arm and pulling him close.

"Please be about to tell me you two are engaged..." her twin murmured with a smile.

Matthew laughed outright. Miranda flushed. "Yes..we are. We have been for some time now but had no way of telling you.."

"Oh I am glad." Izzy closed her eyes with a sigh. "Where are Eugene and Sicily?"

"That was a highly anticlimactic and disappointing reaction." Matthew smirked.

"Shush, Matthew," Miranda patted his chest, grinning. "She has not been awake a full hour yet and is exhausted. They are just outside the door, Izzy, dearest, and quite eager to see you. I shall call them in for you."

"I am so glad you've come; you two, and Papa. I've missed you all terribly."

"And we you, Love. Now, we will let you alone with your friends, but only for a moment - that's all I can bear. Come Matthew." Miranda ushered him out and spoke to someone quietly at the doorjamb. Eugene Dunsworth peeked around the door; seeing her roused and colored and gazing at him, he entered.

"How do you feel? Can I have anything fetched for you?"

"I ache all over and find myself awfully thirsty. But I feel much more myself; thank you."

Dunsworth had already gestured for a maid to acquire water for her. "You will do well to get some proper rest."

"I feel as though a good stretch would do me better."

"No doubt, but there will be none of that for a day or two yet."

"I shall take that as a challenge I hope you know."

Dunsworth grinned down at his hands. "I should have known better."

"Izzy! Oh you are awake finally! Oh we have been fair distraught with worry!!" Sicily burst in, brandishing something before her. "Behold, honeyed crumpets! We have barely got anything into you this past week, I implore you, eat!" The siblings helped Isabel sit up and laid the plate before her. She obediently picked up one of the glazed delicacies and nibbled off a bite.