Chapter 2

As they grew older the Riley Twins, as close to each other as ever sisters could be, showed such astounding differences in character that any who knew them declared if it weren't for their similar looks one could never assume they were siblings.

Both girls, in their early teen years, were of average height, both already had covetable curves despite being considered too thin, both had big grey eyes (that looked almost blue when they were wearing that particular colour, and so they often wore it) and blond hair (although it should be mentioned Isabel's was considered ashy-blond while Miranda's was considered golden).

Though they were pretty children, as they grew older no one would ever comment on them being great beauties. Miranda was considered the handsomer twin (though it was difficult to tell one from the other unless they were stood beside each other) and this was a good thing, for Isabel cared less for her looks than her sister and did not mourn over them as Miranda did (their figures were to awkwardly gangly, her nose too big, her eyes so bland – she hated the color gray). Despite what Miranda so bitterly thought of herself they had much growing yet to do and would age into their features elegantly.

Isabel continued to love the outdoors, walking, boating, fishing, drawing in the fields.

Miranda began to gravitate towards the shops with her friends, the library with romantic novels (though, admittedly, Isabel too could often be found engrossed in a suspenseful volume), loved parties – even though she wasn't yet old enough to join the adults and young ladies who had already been presented. Miranda dreamed of the day of her 'coming out'. 

Isabel was spontaneous and wild in the presence of those she was closest with, and reserved among acquaintances and strangers; her conversation quick, thoughtful, and mature.

Miranda was playful and outgoing with everyone, everywhere; and though, when required, she could enjoy intelligent and genteel conversation, she preferred to talk about the latest fashions and members of the opposite sex.

On their fifteenth birthday they were thrown a large party and played Annie Over in the warmth of an early summer sun. Three girls watched from the sidelines with the older ladies, one of these was Miranda; she clapped and gleefully shouted support to her sister's team. Isabel's aim was superb; having caught the ball, she lobbed it expertly at the runner from the other team hitting him solidly on the shoulder. His team groaned as they lost another member to Isabel's. 

"It is sinful for a girl to throw so well." the boy grinned good-naturedly, squeezing between she and young Dunsworth. 

"It is sinful you dodge so ill." Dunsworth retaliated with a flash of irritation in his eyes for being pushed from his seat. Isabel smiled to herself. 

"I'll get her back. I'll get you back Miss Riley, just wait you." The boy threatened teasingly. 

The game ended. Isabel's team lost, she blamed it on Mr Westbrook, claiming he was now too old for the game; for now that he was a man he was too big a target and too slow. Mr Westbrook was offended. Miranda told Isabel not to be unkind. Matthew told them they were dirty hooligans. Miranda replied unkindly. 

The day had begun to heat to the point where games were no longer fun, and the partiers retreated to shade. Miranda sat in the shadow of a cherry tree with the rest of the girls and boys while the staff cleaned up their game, and Isabel went walking with her cousin Charity Lawrence, followed at a short distance by eighteen-year-old Eugene Dunsworth and another older boy. 

"How loyal those boys are in their pursuit of Miss Lawrence." One girl laughed. 

"Nay," another boy returned "Dunsworth is not one to pursue. The young Duke no doubt requested Dunsworth walk with him to save face. He has laid claim on fair Miss Lawrence and none of the rest of us men stand a chance against his charms." he finished begrudgingly.