Chapter 22

A month passed. Lord Miles still remained undetected and, as a consequence, Isabel Riley remained confined in hiding.
She did not mind. She grew ever closer to Sicily Dunsworth, her longing for Tenby and her Em eased by baths in Blackstone's trout pond with Sicily, reading and dancing together by the hearth as the weather grew cooler, secretly relishing the moments she enjoyed in Mr Dunsworth's company – growing unfortunately more in love with him and his home the longer she lingered there.

It pained and quieted her whenever in the presence of Miss Wescott, mainly because when alone with Miss Riley the woman would not cease in her exclamations of Dunsworth's loyalty and care towards her and how fine and handsome he was and how she was sure he must speak to her father soon. Isabel was in agony these hours and could not bring herself to speak. 

They sat in the parlor of Blackstone one afternoon, Eugene, Miss Dunsworth, Isabel, and Miss Wescott, speaking of faraway places.

"You are so lucky to have seen so much of the world Miss Riley!"

"I have hardly seen the world Miss Wescott, I have not been outside of England.."

"Oh what I wouldn't give to travel! One day I will experience all the diversions London, Bath, Paris, and Rome can offer!"

"Those are expensive and time-consuming trips, I wonder at how you will achieve this goal."

"You would crush my dreams Miss Riley," the girl laughed "but I will not be disheartened. I am determined. Fortune favors those who seek it." 

"Yes, and you seek it boldly. You will succeed." Isabel smiled sweetly (though a little insincerely).

Miss Wescott nodded in self-satisfaction. "And until I am able to travel all of England in fine gowns and phaetons, I must content myself with traveling to the seaside. Before you left for Salisbury you promised me there would be an excursion to the seaside Mr Dunsworth, do you recall? It must be done before the really cold weather sets in." 

"Oh did you promise a seaside excursion Mr Dunsworth? How lovely! You will honor the promise? I have not yet been to the seaside since arriving." 

"Oh, he will honor it, Miss Riley; Mr Dunsworth is the most honorable man I know!" Miss Wescott assured before he could respond. She continued, gazing at him rather pointedly, "He would never raise hopes or expectations in anyone if he did not think he would follow through." 

Mr Dunsworth mostly contained his irritation, Miss Wescott's meaning a little too clear to all. "You will get your seaside excursion." He allowed stoically from where he stood by the window. "We will set out next week, Saturday. There, I have followed through on my promise, are you satisfied Miss Wescott?" 

Amie Wescott's desire was indeed suffonsified.

~~~

Next week, Saturday, was a pleasantly mild day, though a little gray. Gulls called and dove at brackish waters that roughened the rocky shore, the playful breeze tickling their feathers lifting them far over the heads of the eight visitors wandering below. Isabel Riley stood watching the sea with Miss Wescott and Dunsworth – who customarily remained silent when with these two girls together. 

"I do so love the sea." Isabel breathed, entranced by the white tips of passionate waves that stretched out of sight. She breathed deep the salty-sweet air. 

"It is pretty, but it smells so.." sighed Miss Wescott. 

"It is pretty," Isabel smiled happily at the young woman beside her. "It's beautiful, so powerful and free, don't you think?" 

Miss Wescott glanced at Isabel, thinking her odd. "I suppose." 

"You've been to the sea before Miss Wescott?"