Chapter 10

The chatter of the crowd was far too loud. The clock struck out the time with one ear-shattering bong that rattled Miranda's already strained nerves. Standing in a quieter corner of the packed great hall with Miss Cotton, she rubbed her fingers against her temple and let out a quiet groan. Her companion gave a little sigh. "It is a bit tiresome, all this noise. I shall miss my friends upon leaving tomorrow, especially you miss Riley, but I shan't miss the hubbub or the crowd." 

"I can't agree more. We won't miss each other too much though I hope, for we will write, no?" 

"Without a doubt!" Miss Cotton then smiled teasingly "Although I'm certain you won't have much time with all the replies to potential suitors' you will have to write!" 

"Gracious I am not the only one who shall be swamped with calling cards once the week is over!" Miranda poked her friend with her fan playfully. "As for me, I shall merely ignore them! I only have one suitor I care to reply too!" 

"Surely not, I am not nearly the catch you are." Miss Cotton blushed delicately before inquiring, "Who is this mystery man, I am sorry to say I may already know but I do hope I am incorrect.." 

"Why Mr Kirkley of course." Then, recalling her short escapade with him a few hours earlier, exclaimed "Oh but I didn't get his address!" 

"It is no matter and, in any case, we know he has yours, as he is here." 

"Of course you are right, he must have thought of that, but I will ask him next I see him." She craned her neck in all directions to pick him from the crowd. 

Miss Cotton spoke tentatively "Miss Riley...I hope you do not think this out of place or unwelcome...but I would caution you not to grow too close to Mr Kirkley. He has the reputation of a rake in London and I.." 

Miranda waved off her friend's warning "Oh you are too sensible to believe in such gossip!" She laughed "I love you dearly so any concern you feel for me could never be taken as out-of-place or unwelcome. Fear not though Grace, it is obvious to all he has only had eyes for me this entire week, and a true rake would be a notorious flirt!" Then with a playful smile "I know you, Izzy, and Matthew would tease me wickedly if I mentioned love at first sight, but I shall mention it so cringe all you like; he has told me he loves me on more than one occasion and love is not an easy word to say." 

"It is too easy a word for those who use it for their own personal gain," Miss Cotton said kindly, then continued hesitantly "and I must tell you Miranda, I know him better than I admit, he and I.." 

"Miss Cotton! Oh Miss Ryley!!" A shrill voice called to them making the girls jump, they looked over to see a tittering Victoria Bradshaw pushing her way through the crowd towards them. 

"I am so sorry Grace!" Miranda quietly excused herself "I really feel I must rest my head and I can bear no more silly conversation tonight!" Miss Cotton nodded in sympathy before turning to greet Miss Bradshaw. Miranda made her escape away from the clamor and up to her room, the final strains of music and voices silenced behind her closed door.

Collapsing on her bed, her mind began running over the evening's events despite her desperate attempts to rest. She was curious about what Miss Cotton had been about to say. She was slightly worried about why Kirkley had acted so strangely tonight. Most of all she was confused about why she had acted so strangely tonight!

Her mind had utterly betrayed her when Matthew had stopped her in the hall a few hours earlier. What on earth had possessed her to touch him in such an intimate way, and to nearly kiss him??...Kiss Matthew!? She chewed on the idea, thinking of the teasing sparkle that was so often in his eyes and that adorable lopsided grin...she snickered to herself; perhaps it wasn't such an unpleasant idea...

No! She shook her head, shocked and disgusted with her fancies; especially once remembering his oh-so-romantic comment about her looking like a fish. Just imagine if his annoying, fishy, honorary sister had actually tried to kiss him! He'd have blushed to rival the sunrise and never spoken to her again! She laughed; perhaps she should have tried - then he would have let her out of his iron grip and stopped interrogating her.

No, she did not feel for him in any way other than a dear friend or love him any more than one would a brother. 

Miranda sobered, considering his words. Had Kirkley ever done anything to make her question his sincerity? She thought of Kirkley's confusion at seeing her enter the library, as if he had, in actuality, been waiting for someone specific; recalled him leaving her in the room alone so suddenly to explain her actions to a stranger; thought of Miss Cotton's warning... but before she could worry herself too much more, she brushed off her fears.

He had explained his reaction, and he obviously saw who was in the doorway before she did and knew Matthew was trustworthy. As for Miss Cotton's warning, she knew it was all just gossip. She could not let the doubts and talk of others sway her from what she felt was real. Her thoughts slowly became fuzzy as her drowsiness grew.

She thought with some mild disappointment that she had still not acquired his address. She would have to hope to get it on the morrow. Sleep overtook her.

~~~

Miranda woke up the next morning significantly earlier than the rest of the house. Though considering she had also gone to bed earlier than the rest it was no surprise. Her lady's maid must have woken her at some point to help her out of her gown, she vaguely remembered the intoxicating relief that accompanied the removal of her blasted corset. After looking out the window at the risen sun with a stretch, she untangled herself from her blankets to splash her face in the wash basin. She donned a blue-and-white striped walking dress, wrapped herself in a thin shawl, and quietly made her way out to the back garden to enjoy the mid-morning sun.

After wandering contentedly through the expansive rows of floral beds and well-trimmed bushes for a time, she came upon her current favorite spot – a trickling stream fell pleasantly over rocks and pebbles and into a small pond. A pond which was currently home to a mother duck and seven fluffy ducklings. Miranda set herself on a stone bench nearby to watch the ducklings be taught how to dive for minnows; tails and webbed feet poking out of the water as they dunked their heads underwater, tiny wings and head flicking off water as they popped back up. She grinned and laughed silently as she watched, until she heard the crunch of boots on gravel behind her.

With the excited and meager hope of it being Mr Kirkley, she turned eagerly to greet him. It was not Mr Kirkley...