Chapter Six: Trust

The dust had settled and I knew whose arms I was wrapped up in. I groaned with anguish and unforgivable pain as I felt my energy drain from my body. My eyes were watery with pain but I could hear my breathing coming out in sharp shallow breaths. Sweat covered my forehead in a thin sheen I couldn’t even cry anymore and it was an awful feeling.

“Ana, are you alright?”  I heard him ask as he got up

I nodded weakly and sat up, the pain in my side shooting across my body like an unstable wildfire.  I glanced at the injury and ripped my top to use as bandages.  I knew Nikola went looking for an exit but in this tomb there wasn’t any chance of us getting out of there and we both knew it was hopeless.

“There is no way out of here Ana.” I heard him reply.

I internally groaned and I lay back down exhausted. Nikola was looking around for any signs of the bomb which trapped us here.A muted quiver was bestowed upon the still of eve. Quietly trickling down to an inaudible calm. with rippled shadows which cast no more hopeful glimpses.  A dramatic stare to speechlessness and helplessness. Lost from mention to broken sleep and the echoing singe of fear froze with empty voids which emphasized with shallow resting lull of my body trying not to cry but a wisp of pacified submission. Haling to the voices in one shining eye…

“I’m curious,” I heard Nikola say as he rejoined me “How did you get your wings?

I knew someone would ask that question and it wasn’t something I was planning on answering it to anyone until I was ready. “Experimentation,” I replied hoping he would drop the subject “Nikola I am really sorry but it isn’t a subject I want to talk about.” He didn’t say anything which I was glad of and more silence came between us.

It felt like an hour had passed before Nikola had spoken again I couldn’t tell what was going on with my own feelings…

“I guess you weren’t the only one injected with animal blood then to give you your powers then.”

I shook my head and sat up my side giving me less trouble than before and I brought my legs behind me to sit on my knees. I moved my hair out of my eyes and finally looked him in the eye properly.

“No I wasn’t, there were five of us and you already have met one of them.” I explained who they were and what powers they had and I was really surprised that Nikola didn’t say a word during my explanation but I could see there was something else bothering him.

“You mean Alistair?” He said as I lay back down “Not a nice person I take it.”

I was getting annoyed though I tried to hide it but he had no right to say what he had said about him…

“He wasn’t like that, not all of the time.” Why was I defending him? He was the one who left us in this situation anyways and I finally lost my temper. “Nikola if you say anything to anyone I will end you.”

He smirked and replied rather calmly “I won’t say a word Ana, you can trust me.”

As soon as he said that though I found it easier to sleep but a thought went through my head…

There is a universal truth we all have to face, whether we want to or not, everything eventually ends. As much as I've looked forward to this day, I've always disliked endings. The last day of the hot summer. The final chapter of a great book and parting ways with a close friend. But endings are inevitable. Leaves fall, you close the book, you say goodbye. We're moving on. But just because we're leaving, and that hurts, there are some people who are so much a part of us they'll be with us no matter what. They are our solid ground, our North Star, and the small clear voices in our hearts that will be with us...always.